Baton Rouge, La. – Wins by senior Vlatka Jovanovic and sophomore Audrey Bordeleau in singles could not lift the University of Arkansas women’s tennis team past the Louisiana State University Tigers Saturday afternoon in Baton Rouge.
The Lady Razorbacks (10-9, 5-6) pushed LSU (11-11, 3-8) to a third set on four of the six singles courts while pulling wins at the top and bottom of the lineup.
Jovanovic snapped a two-match losing skid with a center court win over LSU’s Mykala Hedberg. The Zagreb, Croatia, native came back after being down a set to win 4-6, 6-4, 6-2. The win gives Jovanovic her 12th of the 2005-06 season and first at the No. 1 spot.
Bordeleau played on Saturday for the first time since March 24. The young sophomore made it count with a comeback win on court six over LSU’s Daysi Espinal, 2-6, 6-4, 6-1. The gives Bordeleau her fourth Southeastern Conference win of the season.
The Lady’Backs are back on the courts on April 20-23 as they travel to Gainesville, Fla. for the 2006 SEC Tournament. For more information on Arkansas tennis or any other Lady’Back sport, please visit LADYBACKS.COM.
Tennis Match Results
Saturday, April 15, 2006
W.T. Robinson Stadium
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
1. Vlatka Jovanovic (UA) def. Mykala Hedberg (LSU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Marina Chiarellia (LSU) def. Ela Kaluder (UA) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6*
3. Anastasiya Dubova (LSU) def. Maryori Franco (UA) 6-3, 6-2
4. Lauren Seaman (LSU) def. Melissa Cornett (UA) 7-6, 3-6, 6-3
5. Camila Caliari (LSU) def. Karina Ledaja (UA) 7-5, 6-4
6. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) def. Daysi Espinal (LSU) def. 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
1. Tiffany Tucker/Mykala Hedberg (LSU) def. Maryori Franco/Karina Ledaja (UA) 8-4
2. Anastasiya Dubova/Marina Chiarelli (LSU) def. Ela Kaluder/Audrey Bordeleau (UA) 8-4
3. Daysi Espinal/Lauren Seaman (LSU) def. Melissa Cornett/Rachel Wilhelm (UA) 8-2*
*- Clinched Match/Point