Bentonville, AR – A doubles point win for the University of Arkansas women’s tennis team on Friday afternoon at the Wal-Mart Life and Fitness Center could not lift the team to victory over the 12th ranked Vanderbilt Commodores, 6-1.
The Lady Razorbacks (4-4, 0-3) began the match by winning their sixth doubles point of the season over the visiting Commodores (11-2, 3-0).
Senior Karina Ledaja and sophomore Maryori Franco battled for their fifth win in their last eight matches with and 8-5 win over Amanda Fish and Taka Bertrand on court one. Freshmen Aurelija Miseviciute and Ela Kaluder iced the doubles point in Arkansas’ direction on court two with an 8-6 win over VU’s Amanda Taylor and Maggie Yahner.
In singles play, the Lady’Backs had their chances by taking courtsthree through five to a third set, but Commodores came out firing, winning the singles matches to give them the afternoon victory.
“Vanderbilt really earned the win today,” said Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty. “It was certainly not easy out there for anyone. I was encouraged, though, by our team. They were right in the match until the very end.”
The Lady’Backs are back at home on Sunday, Mar. 12, at 12:00 p.m. against the Kentucky Wildcats. For more information on Arkansas tennis or any other Lady’Back sport, please visit LADYBACKS.COM.
Tennis Match Results
Friday, March 10, 2006
Wal-Mart Life and Fitness Center
Vanderbilt 6, Arkansas 1
1. Amanda Fish (VU) def. Aurelija Miseviciute (UA) 7-6(3), 6-2
2. Taka Bertrand (VU) def. Vlatka Jovanovic (UA) 6-1, 6-1
3. Amanda Taylor (VU) def. Ela Kaluder (UA) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4. Courtney Ulery (VU) def. Karina Ledaja (UA) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
5. Caroline Ferrell (VU) def. Maryori Franco 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Liberty Sveke (VU) def. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) 6-3, 6-2
1. Karina Ledaja/Maryori Franco (UA) def. Amanda Fish/Taka Bertrand (VU) 8-5
2. Aurelija Miseviciute/Ela Kaluder (UA) def. Amanda Taylor/Maggie Yahner (VU) 8-6
3. Liberty Sveke/Courtney Ulery def. Melissa Cornett/Audrey Bordeleau (UA) 8-2
— LADY RAZORBACKS —