FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Following a tough loss in the afternoon, the No. 14 Arkansas men’s tennis team responded with a 5-2 victory over Saint Louis on Sunday. With the split results, the Razorbacks now boast a 18-5 overall record with a 6-3 mark in SEC play.
In the evening, Arkansas got off to a strong start as all three doubles teams notched wins. Moving on to singles, Austin Robles clinched the fourth point at No. 6 to give Arkansas a 4-0 advantage; the final three matches went 2-1 in favor of the Billikens.
Earlier in the day, the Razorbacks fell by a slim 4-3 margin against No. 25 Mississippi State, in a match that was ultimately decided by the doubles point.
With the doubles results tied 1-1, the No. 16 pair of Giammarco Micolani and Mike Redlicki thought it had the point won while serving for the match at 5-3. Redlicki appeared to smash an ace, but the ball was called out and upheld by the chair umpire. Following the call, MSU’s Mate Cutura and Vaughn Hunter proceeded to take the final four games to earn the first point for the visitors.
After that, Arkansas could not quite climb back. The Bulldogs took the first singles match and the team alternated wins, with No. 80 Rishab Agarwal taking the fourth point from Santiago Munoz at No. 2 singles to take a 4-2 lead. Micolani rounded out play against MSU with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Niclas Braun to bring the final score to 4-3.
QUICK HITS (SLU)
• The Razorbacks won all three doubles matches for the fourth time this season, and the first time since Feb. 7 vs. Oral Roberts.
• Arkansas improved to 2-0 this season in the second half of doubleheaders. The team also defeated the Golden Eagles on Feb. 7 following a loss to No. 17 Oklahoma State earlier in the day.
• Santiago Munoz won his second match of the day vs. John Nogalski of Saint Louis. Munoz was the first singles player off the court in the evening to give the Razorbacks a 2-0 lead.
• David Herrerias also was victorious in his second match of the day vs. the Billikens’ Charlie Perry. Herrerias improved to 7-1 in two-set matches this season.
• Jacob Herndon upped his overall singles record to 4-0 with a win over Paarth Dodhiawala at No. 5 singles. With a doubles win earlier in the match, Herndon is now 7-0 overall on the court this season.
• Austin Robles earned his first clincher of the year, defeating Miguel Flores at the No. 6 position. Robles is an undefeated 3-0 at the anchor spot in the lineup this season.
QUICK HITS (MSU)
• The No. 2 doubles duo of Jose Salazar and Adam Sanjurjo defeated the Bulldogs’ Nuno Borges and Niclas Braun for the third win in their last four decisions.
• No. 30 Mike Redlicki beat No. 22 Mate Cutura in straight sets, to improve to 8-3 against ranked opponents this season. He ended the weekend 2-0, adding onto a win vs. Alabama’s No. 43 Mazen Osama on Friday.
• Giammarco Micolani won his eighth consecutive match by defeating MSU’s Niclas Braun; he has not lost in singles since March 6 at Tennessee. Micolani won his fifth straight in straight sets.
• Adam Sanjurjo got back on the right track to defeat Luka Sucevic in the No. 6 position. He improved to 1-1 over the weekend and 4-1 overall at the final position in the lineup.
• Redlicki and Micolani each improved to 7-2 in SEC singles play, which is tied for the team’s best mark. Overall, Arkansas boasts a 32-22 (.593) record among SEC singles competition.
1. Johan den Toom/Santiago Munoz (AR) def. Juan Calero/John Nogalski (SLU) 6-2
2. David Herrerias/Juan Marino (AR) def. David Ferragut/Charlie Parry (SLU) 6-4
3. Jacob Herndon/Austin Robles (AR) def. Miguel Flores/Oscar Pachon (SLU) 6-2
1. David Ferragut (SLU) def. Johan den Toom (AR) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Juan Calero (SLU) def. Juan Marino (AR) 6-4, 7-5
3. Santiago Munoz (AR) def. John Nogalski (SLU) 6-1, 6-3
4. David Herrerias (AR) def. Charlie Parry (SLU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Jacob Herndon (AR) def. Paarth Dodhiawala (SLU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Austin Robles (AR) def. Miguel Flores (SLU) 6-1, 6-4
ORDER OF FINISH (SLU)
Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,4,6,5,2,1)
1. Mate Cutura/Vaughn Hunter (MSU) def. No. 16 Giammarco Micolani/Mike Redlicki (AR) 7-5
2. Jose Salazar/Adam Sanjurjo (AR) def. Nuno Borges/Niclas Braun (MSU) 6-4
3. Rishab Agarwal/Luka Sucevic (MSU) def. Santiago Munoz/Johan den Toom (AR) 6-4
1. No. 30 Mike Redlicki (AR) def. No. 22 Mate Cutura (MSU) 7-6 (5), 6-1
2. Nuno Borges (MSU) def. No. 114 Jose Salazar (AR) 6-3, 7-5
3. No. 80 Rishab Agarwal (MSU) def. Santiago Munoz (AR) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Giammarco Micolani (AR) def. Niclas Braun (MSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Strahinja Rakic (MSU) def. David Herrerias (AR) 6-3, 6-0
6. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) def. Luka Sucevic (MSU) 6-3, 6-2
ORDER OF FINISH (MSU)
Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,6,2,1,3,4)