Freshman Aurelija Misevicute’s 6-0, 6-1 win on centre court was not enough to outlast the Kentucky Wildcats on Sunday afternoon at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center.
The Wildcats (9-6, 3-1) took the match from the Lady Razorbacks (4-5, 0-4), 6-1.
In doubles, sophomore Maryori Franco and senior Karina Ledaja won their second straight conference doubles match with an 8-4 post over UK’s Lara Maurer and Joelle Schwenk. Arkansas held the other two doubles matches close with several ties, but Kentucky edged ahead to take the doubles point.
As singles play began, freshman Aurelija Miseviciute took just 17 minutes while losing only five points to win the first set over Kentucky’s Kim Coventry on court one. In the second set, the Klaipeda, Lithuania, native gave up a few more points, but only gave up one game in the 6-0, 6-1 win.
“I really didn’t think about the score in the match today,” Miseviciute said. “I stayed focused throughout the match and just tried to play my game.”
With the win, Miseviciute improves to 6-2 this spring with both losses coming against top 25 opponents.
The Lady’Backs are back on the court during the University’s Spring Break at Baylor and Southern Methodist on Mar. 18 and 19, respectively. Arkansas jumps back into the conference schedule the following weekend at Florida on Mar. 24 and at South Carolina on Mar. 26.
For more information on Arkansas tennis or any other Lady’Back sport, please visit LADYBACKS.COM.
Tennis Match Results
Sunday, March 12, 2006
Dills Indoor Tennis Center
Kentucky 6, Arkansas 1
1. Aurelija Miseviciute (UA) def. Kim Coventry (UK) 6-0, 6-1
2. Joelle Schwenk (UK) def. Vlatka Jovanovic (UA) 6-2, 6-2
3. Lara Maurer (UK) def. Ela Kaluder (UA) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
4. Danielle Petrisko (UK) def. Karina Ledaja (UA) def. 6-3, 6-3
5. Carolina Escamilla (UK) def. Maryori Franco (UA) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jessica Giuggioli (UK) def. Melissa Cornett (UA) 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
1. Kim Coventry/Carolina Escamilla (UK) def. Aurelija Miseviciute/Ela Kaluder (UA) 8-6
2. Maryori Franco/ Karina Ledaja (UA) def. Lara Maurer/Joelle Schwenk (UK) 8-4
3. Danielle Petrisko/Caroline Winebrenner (UK) def. Melissa Cornett/Audrey Bordeleau (UA) 8-6