FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The University of Arkansas women’s tennis team moved its winning streak to four matches following a doubleheader sweep of UC-Santa Barbara and Southern Illinois Friday at the Billingsley Tennis Center. The No. 58 Razorbacks defeated UCSB, 5-2, in the morning match and blanked SIU, 7-0, in the evening match.
Arkansas improves to 4-1 on the season and will host No. 24 Oklahoma Sunday at 12 p.m. Admission to the match is free.
“I’m very pleased with the growth we showed from last week to this week,” 12th-year head coach Michael Hegarty said. “The doubles was particularly sharp and we looked strong to begin both matches.”
Opening up play against the Gauchos, Arkansas won the doubles point behind victories on courts one and three. Sophomore Shannon Hudson and junior Yuliya Lysa teamed to defeat Natalie Da Silveira and Jamiee Gilbertson 6-2 on the top court while sophomore Oleksandra Shkorupeieva and junior Yang Pang beat Melissa Baker and Lou Adler on court three, 6-2.
Arkansas followed its strong doubles play by taking four first sets in singles play. Four of the five singles wins came in straight sets.
Hudson opened up her singles play by winning 11 straight games en route to a 6-0, 6-1 win on court two. Freshman Mia Jurasic battled to a 6-3 win in her first set on court six and then cruised to a 6-0 second-set to wrap up a win. Craft clinched the match on court three following her 6-3, 6-3 triumph over April Scatliffe. Lysa gave Arkansas its fifth point of the match as she won a third-set tiebreaker over Jaimee Gilbertson on the fourth court, 7-5, 6-7(3), 1-0(10-3).
The evening match against Southern Illinois started out much the same as the morning match as Arkansas secured the doubles point. The duo of Hudson and Lysa improved their doubles record to 3-0 with a 6-2 win over Meagan Monaghan and Natasha Tomishima. Craft and Rubel concluded the doubles point, winning 6-3 over Vitoria Beirao and Polina Dozortseva.
In singles, the Razorbacks won on all six courts in straight sets. Jurasic and Lysa both improved to 4-0 in singles this spring season after wins on courts six and four, respectively. Craft again clinched the match on court three, as she served past Athena Chrysanthou, 6-1, 6-2.
Hudson moved her singles mark to 3-0 this season, beating Meagan Monaghan on court two, 6-3, 6-0. Hudson trailed 3-2 early in the first set before rattling off 10 straight games. Pang (court one) and Shkorupeieva (court five) completed the sweep with their wins.
Up next, the Razorbacks square off with No. 24 Oklahoma Sunday at 12 p.m. at the Billingsley Tennis Center. Admission is free.
RESULTS – NO. 58 ARKANSAS 5, UC-SANTA BARBARA 2
1) Hudson/Lysa (UA) def. Da Silveira/Gilbertson (UCSB) 6-2
2) Craft/Rubel (UA) vs. Scatliffe/Ortiz Candido (UCSB) 4-4, unf.
3) Pang/Shkorupeieva (UA) def. Adler/Baker (UCSB) 6-2
1) Lou Adler (UCSB) def. Yang Pang (UA) 6-4, 7-6(3)
2) Shannon Hudson (UA) def. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) 6-0, 6-1
3) Makenzie Craft (UA) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-3, 6-3
4) Yuliya Lysa (UA) def. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) 7-5, 6-7(3), 1-0(10-3)
5) Melissa Baker (UCSB) def. Sasha Shkorupeieva (UA) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0(10-3)
6) Mia Jurasic (UA) def. Stacy Yam (UCSB) 6-3, 6-0
RESULTS – NO. 58 ARKANSAS 7, SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 0
1) Hudson/Lysa (UA) def. Monaghan/Tomishima (SIU) 6-2
2) Craft/Rubel (UA) def. Beirao/Dozortseva (SIU) 6-2
3) Pang/Shkorupeieva (UA) vs. Golovkina/Baza (SIU) 5-2, unf.
1) Yang Pang (UA) def. Natasha Tomishima (SIU) 6-4, 6-2
2) Shannon Hudson (UA) vs. Meagan Monaghan (SIU) 6-3, 6-0
3) Makenzie Craft (UA) vs. Athena Chrysanthou (SIU) 6-1, 6-2
4) Yuliya Lysa (UA) def. Yana Golovkina (SIU) 6-1, 6-0
5) Sasha Shkorupeieva (UA) vs. Polina Dozortseva (SIU) 6-0, 6-1
6) Mia Jurasic (UA) vs. Vitoria Beirao (SIU) 6-4, 6-3
For more information on Arkansas women’s tennis, follow @RazorbackWTEN on Twitter.