AUBURN, Ala. – Freshman Anouk Tigu came through for the 16th-ranked University of Arkansas Lady Razorback tennis team in one of the most important matches of the season, 4-0, over 27th-ranked LSU Friday in the quarterfinals of the Southeastern Conference Women’s Tennis Tournament.
Tigu grunted and earned her second clinching point of the day, 6-1, 7-5, over Hannah Robinson, to push the Lady’Backs into a semifinal match up with No. 8 Georgia at 10 a.m. on Saturday, and their first win in the tournament since 1999. It will be Arkansas’ second ever trip to the SEC Tournament semifinals, with the first coming back in 1998.
For the second time in less than a week, the Lady’Backs (15-8, 7-4 in SEC)faced-off against the Tigers (14-8, 6-5 in SEC), but the result of Friday’s match was opposite of the last one with Arkansas coming out on top in an important postseason match.
Lady’Back head coach Michael Hegarty preached all week that the goal in this tournament is to advance each day, and that’s exactly what his team did on Friday against LSU.
“It’s great to be in the semifinals of the conference championship, we’ve worked hard all year to put ourselves in this position,” said Hegarty. “The play in doubles was once again a big key to our victory and we take a lot of pride in that.”
Arkansas took charge of the match early by claiming the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead.
Maryori Franco and Nanar Airapetian shattered Tiffany Tucker and Hannah Robinson, 8-1, while Audrey Bordeleau and Tigu clinched the point, 8-4, over Kylie Adamek and Nicole Kantor.
Bordeleau gave Arkansas a two-point cushion in her straight-set victory over Tucker, 6-1, 6-4.
Aurelija Miseviciute, ranked No. 2 nationally, defended her position on Court 1, 6-4, 6-1, against No. 12 Megan Falcon setting the tone for Tigu’s clinching point.
Arkansas’ match against Georgia will be the second of the season against the Lady Bulldogs. The first match took place in Fayetteville when the Lady’Backs upset Georgia, 4-3.
Follow each point of tomorrow’s match with LIVE STATS on LADYBACKS.COM.
1. #2 Aurelija Miseviciute (UA) def. #12 Megan Falcon (LSU), 6-4, 6-1.
2. Ela Kaluder (UA) led. Mykala Hedberg (LSU), 7-6 (7-5), 2-1 unf.
3. Anouk Tigu (UA) def. Hannah Robinson (LSU), 6-1, 7-5.
4. Nicole Kantor (LSU) led. Nanar Airapetian (UA), 6-4, 2-5 unf.
5. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) def. Tiffany Tucker (LSU), 6-1, 6-4.
6. Delia Damaschin (UA) led. Staten Spencer (LSU) 6-3, 5-3 unf.
Match Notes: (Order of Finish:5,1,3*)
1. #30 Aurelija Miseviciute/Ela Kaluder (UA) led #22 Megan Falcon/Mykala Hedberg (LSU), 5-4 unf.
2. Maryori Franco/Nanar Airapetian (UA) def. Tiffany Tucker/Hannah Robinson (LSU), 8-1.
3. Audrey Bordeleau/Anouk Tigu (UA) def. Kylie Adamek/Nicole Kantor (LSU), 8-4.
Match Notes: (Order of Finish:2,3*)