FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – For student-athletes, academic achievement and success in the classroom is just as important as their individual and team performance in their respective sports.
Their dedication and hard work — along with the support of coaches and members of the Office of Student-Athlete Success staff — has resulted in the department posting a program-record 3.25 cumulative GPA for the Fall 2015 semester.
That mark tops last year’s previous record, a 3.24 cumulative GPA for the Fall 2014 semester.
This laudable achievement is the 12th consecutive semester where the department GPA has been at 3.0 or above at the end of term. In addition:
• The Fall 2015 average term GPA of 3.24 was an improvement over the 3.22 Fall 2014 average term GPA
• 16 of 19 Razorback teams finished with an overall and cumulative GPA greater than 3.0. In comparison, only 14 teams accomplished this feat during the Fall 2014 semester
• A record 63 student-athletes posted a perfect 4.0 GPA, topping the Fall 2014 mark of 54, a 16.6 percent year-to-year increase
• 109 student-athletes achieved a personal best GPA in the Fall 2015 semester, a striking 39.7 percent increase from the Fall 2014 mark of 78
• 298 student-athletes made the department honor roll (at or above 3.0) during the Fall 2015 semester, compared to 264 a year ago, an increase of 12.8 percent
° 136 in Razorback Honor Roll (3.00-3.49 GPA) versus 127 in Fall 2014 (up 7.1 percent)
° 99 in Athletic Director’s List (3.50-3.99 GPA) compared to 83 in Fall 2014 (up 19.3 percent)
° 63 Academic Champions (4.00 GPA) versus 54 in Fall 2014 (up 16.6 percent)
The women’s sport with the highest Fall 2015 GPA was the swimming and diving team, which posted a 3.56 GPA for the semester (3.53 cumulative). For the men, the golf team had the highest mark, finishing with a 3.43 GPA for the semester (3.38 cumulative).
Breaking down the amount of student-athletes who posted personal best GPAs during the Fall 2015 semester by sport and comparing notable changes from the previous year:
|Sport||# of Student-Athletes w/ Personal Best GPAs||Notable Change From Fall 2014|
|Men's Golf||3||+2 (+200%)|
|Women's Golf||4||+3 (+300%)|
|Swimming & Diving||7|
|Women's Tennis||4||+2 (+100%)|
|Men's Track/Cross Country||21||+13 (+162.5%)|
|Women's Track/Cross Country||17||+5 (+41.6%)|