FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Arkansas men’s tennis team lost to No. 23 Tulsa, 4-3, Thursday at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center. The Golden Hurricane won the doubles point and claimed victories at the top three singles positions to take the match. The loss snaps the Razorbacks’ five-match win streak.
In doubles action, the UA duo of Blake Strode and Colin Mascall pushed the fifth-ranked team of Andy Connelly and Ross Cunningham, but were broken late in the set to fall behind, 6-4. Connelly and Cunningham maintained the advantage to serve out the match, 8-5.
On courts two and three, the Razorbacks were overwhelmed, 8-0 and 8-1, respectively. No. 15 Arnau Brugues and Ricardo Soriano topped Matt Hogan and Tyler Tarnasky at the second spot, while Alberto Sottocorno and Viktor Kolik were winners at the third doubles position.
With Arkansas trailing in the dual match, 3-0, after Tulsa wins on courts one and two, Hogan scored the Razorbacks’ first point with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Sottocorno at the No. 4 singles spot. Tulsa closed out the match, however, when Will Gray defeated freshman Chris Nott at the third spot, 6-3, 6-4.
The team loss did not keep Dmitry Lebedev, playing on court five, and Bradwin Williams from earning come-from-behind wins after both Razorbacks dropped the first set of their respective matches. Lebedev rallied to defeat Cunningham, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1. On court six, Williams lost the first set at love, but fought back to earn a 0-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Connelly.
Arkansas will next head to Norman, Okla., to face the No. 33 Sooners on Sunday at 1 p.m. Log on to www.hogwired.com for complete results and more news about Razorback tennis.
Tulsa 4, Arkansas 3
Feb. 14, 2008
1. Arnau Brugues (TU) def. #76 Blake Strode (UA), 6-2, 6-2
2. Viktor Kolik (TU) def. Colin Mascall (UA), 7-5, 6-3
*3. Will Gray (TU) def. Chris Nott (UA), 6-3, 6-4
4. Matt Hogan (UA) def. Alberto Sottocorno (TU), 6-4, 6-3
5. Dmitry Lebedev (UA) def. Ross Cunningham (TU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Bradwin Williams (UA) def. Andy Connelly (TU), 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
1. #5 Andy Connelly/Ross Cunningham (TU) def. Blake Strode/Colin Mascall (UA), 8-5
2. #15 Arnau Brugues/Ricardo Soriano (TU) def. Matt Hogan/Tyler Tarnasky (UA), 8-0
3. Alberto Sottocorno/Viktor Kolik (TU) def. Chris Nott/Dmitry Lebedev (UA), 8-1
Order of Finish: Doubles (2, 3, 1); Singles (1, 2, 4, *3, 5, 6)
* – clinching match