FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – After nearly three weeks off from tournament play, the Arkansas men’s golf team will take part in the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate hosted by Alabama for the second straight year starting on Monday at Old Overton Club in Vestavia Hills, Ala.
Arkansas’ starting lineup will mirror the five-man group from the season-opening trip to the Carmel Cup at Pebble Beach Golf Links after junior Nicolas Echavarria and freshman Alvaro Ortiz missed the Fighting Illini Invitational due to representing their countries in the World Amateur Team Championships in Japan. The duo will be joined by juniors Taylor Moore and Kolton Crawford along with freshman Emil Soegaard.
The Razorbacks finished sixth at the 2013 Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate and will be part of this year’s12-team field that features four ranked teams and three others that received votes in last Thursday’s GCAA Top 25 poll. Arkansas received 24 votes in the poll, putting them at No. 32 in the ranking.
Soegaard and Ortiz have made an instant impact in their first fall as Razorbacks, turning in a counting score in each of their combined nine rounds played. A native of Denmark, Soegaard was the team’s top finisher at the Fighting Illini Invitational in a tie for 18th place and has shot 75 or lower in all six rounds. Ortiz shot even-par and tied for 15th at the Carmel Cup in his only appearance of the young season and finished the World Amateur Team Championships at two-under over four rounds.
Arkansas will play the 36-hole opening day on Monday alongside host No. 14 Alabama and No. 2 Georgia Tech. The trio will go off the first tee on the Par 70, 7209-yard Old Overton Club layout from 7:30-8:10 a.m.
For more information on Arkansas men’s golf, follow @RazorbackMGolf on Twitter.
@RazorbackMGolf Lineup (First RD Tee Time)
Taylor Moore, Jr. (10:21 a.m.)
Nicolas Echavarria, Jr. (8:00 a.m.)
Emil Soegaard, Fr. (7:50 a.m.)
Alvaro Ortiz, Fr. (7:40 a.m.)
Kolton Crawford, R-Jr. (7:30 a.m.)
@RazorbackMGolf Lineup Quick Nine
• Arkansas has used the five-man lineup of Moore, Echavarria, Soegaard, Ortiz and Crawford twice this fall.
• Four of the five players in the lineup have a top 20 finish through the first two events.
• Crawford and Soegaard have a counting score in all six rounds this season.
• Crawford’s three under-par rounds are one off his total from 2013-14.
• Crawford, Echavarria and Moore will all in the lineup at last year’s Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate.
• Moore will make his 29th consecutive start.
• Echavarria shot six-under par playing for Colombia at the World Amateur Team Championships.
• Ortiz finished under-par in two of three rounds at the Carmel Cup.
• Three different players (Echavarria, Ortiz, Soegaard) have an eagle this season.
Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate (GCAA Ranking – Oct. 3)
Florida State (4)
Georgia State (RV)
Georgia Tech (2)
Texas A&M (RV)