FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Coming off a second place finish at the NCAA Columbia Regional to qualify for its fourth NCAA Championship in the last six years, the Arkansas men’s golf team unveiled its five-man lineup that will take on Prairie Dunes CC in Hutchinson, Kan. beginning on Friday.
For the first time since the first month of the fall, Arkansas will sport a lineup of senior Sebastian Cappelen, sophomore Taylor Moore, redshirt sophomore Kolton Crawford, sophomore Nicolas Echavarria and senior Blake Biddle. Cappelen will make his third appearance at the NCAA Championships while Moore and Echavarria were also part of last year’s 10th place finish. They were Arkansas’ top three finishers last year.
The quartet of Cappelen, Moore, Crawford and Echavarria combined to go 28-under par at last weekend’s NCAA Columbia Regional to all finish in the top 11. Biddle is new to the lineup but no stranger to NCAA postseason competition, as he owns a pair of top 10s at the regional level during his freshman and sophomore campaigns, respectively, at UNLV.
Also on Monday, the NCAA released the first and second round pairings and tee times. The Razorbacks will play alongside Houston and UAB the first two days, taking the course at 1:30 p.m. for Friday’s first round and returning at 8:10 a.m. for Saturday’s second round. The top eight teams through three rounds (May 23-25) of stroke play will advance to match play which will begin on Tuesday, May 27.
Arkansas is one of 10 SEC teams that make up one-third of the field of 30 teams at the NCAA Championships. Live scoring of the event will be available through www.GolfStat.com or by visiting www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com. In-round updates, photos and more can be found by following @RazorbackMGolf on Twitter.
A full preview will be available leading up to the tournament.
@RazorbackMGolf Starting 5 Quick 5 Hits
Sebastian Cappelen (Sr.)
Will make third career NCAA Championships appearance.
• Posted 19th career top 10 at the Columbia Regional.
• Counting score in 35 of 36 rounds, including 17 under-par.
• Arkansas all-time scoring leader at 71.9.
• Ranked No. 19 by both Golfstat & Golfweek.
Taylor Moore (So.)
• Will make second NCAA Championships appearance.
• Turned in 32 counting scores with 16 par or lower rounds.
• Has produced a 71.3 stroke average in the spring (21 RDs).
• Tied for the team lead with five top 10s.
• Shot par or lower in each of the last four rounds.
Kolton Crawford (R-So.)
• Will make NCAA Championships debut.
• Team’s top finisher at the Columbia Regional in 5th place.
• Shot a career-low 8-under 208 at the Columbia Regional.
• Has double-digit birdies in five of the last six tournaments.
• Turned in a counting score in 31 of 36 rounds.
Nicolas Echavarria (So.)
• Team’s top finisher (13th) at the 2013 NCAA Championships.
• Tied for 6th at the NCAA Columbia Regional at 7-under 209.
• Even-par or lower in 7 of 12 career postseason rounds.
• Counting score in a career-long 10 straight rounds.
• Set a program SEC 36-hole record with rounds of 66 & 68.
Blake Biddle (Sr.)
• Will make NCAA Championships and spring debut.
• Advanced to U.S. Open sectional qualifier on May 14.
• Played in four tournaments in the fall.
• Transferred to Arkansas from UNLV last summer.
• Owns two career top 10s at NCAA Regionals (at UNLV).