NORMAN, Okla. – The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team defeated the University of New Mexico 4-2 on the final day of play at the ITA Kickoff Weekend at the Headington Family Tennis Center on Sunday.
With the win, the Razorbacks improved to 5-2 overall, while the Lobos fell to 4-4.
Arkansas got momentum on its side early, claiming the doubles point quickly. First, junior Giammarco Micolani and senior Jovan Parlic paired up to beat Rodolfo Jauregui and Hayden Sabatka 6-0 in the No. 2 position. Next, sophomore Johan den Toom and junior William Albanese bettered Augustus Ge and Jorge Escutia 6-1 in the No. 3 spot to win the point.
After Razorback losses in the No. 1 and 2 positions, den Toom was able to get the first Arkansas singles win of the day. Playing in the No. 3 spot, den Toom defeated Bart Van Leijsen 7-6, 7-5. Then, Albanese battled through three sets to beat James Hignett 0-6, 6-1, 6-3. Clinching the match for the Razorbacks was freshman David Herrerias who netted a 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 victory over Jorge Escutia.
Arkansas will have a two week break from competition before facing No. 24 Oklahoma State at 1 p.m., CT on Feb. 8 in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
Arkansas vs. New Mexico
Jan 25, 2015 at Norman, Okla.
(Headington Family Tennis Center)
Arkansas 4, New Mexico 2
1. Bart Van Leijsen/James Hignett (NM) def. Branch Terrell/Santiago Munoz (Ark) 4-3 UNFINISHED
2. Giammarco Micolani/Jovan Parlic (Ark) def. Rodolfo Jauregui/Hayden Sabatka (NM) 6-0
3. Johan den Toom/William Albanese (Ark) def. Augustus Ge/Jorge Escutia (NM) 6-1
1. Mitch McDaniels (NM) def. Giammarco Micolani (Ark) 6-4, 6-4
2. Hayden Sabatka (NM) def. Jovan Parlic (Ark) 6-2, 7-6
3. Johan den Toom (Ark) def. Bart Van Leijsen (NM) 7-6, 7-5
4. Will Albanese (Ark) def. James Hignett (NM) 0-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Augie Ge (NM) def. Santiago Munoz (Ark) 6-4, 6-7, 3-2 UNFINISHED
6. David Herrerias (Ark) def. Jorge Escutia (NM) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3); Singles (2, 1, 3, 4, 6)
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.