FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team played a close match with Southeastern Conference foe Kentucky, but was ultimately defeated, 4-1, at the George M. Billingsley Tennis Center on Thursday.
With the loss the Razorbacks fell to 11-12 overall, 1-8 in the SEC, while the Wildcats improved to 11-13 overall and 2-7 in conference play.
The doubles point was heated from start to finish, with Arkansas picking up the first win on court one. Claiming their first ranked win of the season, freshman Branch Terrell and junior Santiago Munoz battled to a convincing 6-3 win over No. 59 Kevin Lai and Beck Pennington. Next, Arkansas duo of sophomore Johan den Toom and junior William Albanese fell to William Bushamuka and Trey Yates 6-4 in the No. 3 spot. With the point coming down to court 2, senior Jovan Parlic and junior Giammarco Micolani played a close match with Nils Ellefsen and Jerry Lopez, but lost 6-4.
Munoz did well in singles too, collecting the first Razorback point of the day. The junior quickly defeated Yates 6-3, 6-3 in the No. 4 position to bring the match to 1-1. But the Wildcats took momentum back, claiming victories on courts two and six. No. 81 Micolani fought through a close first set, falling to No. 62 Pennington 7-5 and made a bit of a comeback in his second set, coming back from a 1-4 deficit. However, the Razorback could not hold on and fell 6-3 with Kentucky taking the match.
Senior Jovan Parlic battled back from a 6-2 first-set loss to win his second 6-0. Parlic was trailing Bushamuka 4-1 when play was called. den Toom was also in a third set as the match came to a close. The Rotterdam, Netherlands native won his first set 6-4, lost his second 6-3 and was leading Ellefsen 1-0 in the third.
Arkansas is back in action on Saturday when it hosts Tennessee in its final home match of the season at the George M. Billingsley Tennis Center at 1 p.m., CT.
Arkansas vs Kentucky
April 2, 2015 at Fayetteville, Ark.
(George M. Billingsley Tennis Center)
Kentucky 4, Arkansas 1
1. Santiago Munoz/Branch Terrell (ARK) def. #59 Kevin Lai/Beck Pennington (KENTUCKY) 6-3
2. Nils Ellefsen/Jerry Lopez (KENTUCKY) def. Jovan Parlic/Giammarco Micolani (ARK) 6-4
3. William Bushamuka/Trey Yates (KENTUCKY) def. Johan den Toom/William Albanese (ARK) 6-4
1. #62 Beck Pennington (KENTUCKY) def. #81 Giammarco Micolani (ARK) 7-5, 6-3
2. Jerry Lopez (KENTUCKY) def. William Albanese (ARK) 6-2, 6-3
3. Jovan Parlic (ARK) vs. William Bushamuka (KENTUCKY) 2-6, 6-0, 1-4, unfinished
4. Santiago Munoz (ARK) def. Trey Yates (KENTUCKY) 6-3, 6-3
5. Johan den Toom (ARK) vs. Nils Ellefsen (KENTUCKY) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0, unfinished
6. Jake Stefanik (KENTUCKY) def. David Herrerias (ARK) 6-0, 6-4
Kentucky 11-13, 2-7 SEC
Arkansas 11-12, 1-8 SEC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,2,6,1)
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.