FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team was defeated by No. 16 Vanderbilt 4-0 in its Southeastern Conference opener at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center on Friday.
With the loss the Razorbacks fell to 10-5 overall, 0-1 in the SEC, while the Commodores improved to 10-2 overall and 1-0 in conference play.
Vanderbilt took control early, winning its first doubles match in the No. 3 position. The Commodore duo of Suresh Eswaran and Daniel Valent bettered Razorback pair senior Jovan Parlic and junior Giammarco Micolani 6-3. Playing in the No. 1 spot, junior Santiago Munoz and freshman Branch Terrell played a close match with the No.1-ranked doubles team of Gonzales Austin and Rhys Johnson, but ultimately lost 7-5. Sophomore Johan den Toom and junior William Albanese were tied with Pen Binet and Baker Newman, 5-5, when play was called.
Despite Arkansas being unable to come up with a singles win on the day, senior Jovan Parlic played a close first set with Johnson. Competing in the No. 2 spot, Parlic pushed Johnson to a tiebreak but eventually fell 7-6 (9-7). Johnson led Parlic 3-1 when play was called. den Toom also fought through a close first set, losing to Kris Yee 7-5 in the No. 3 position. It looked like den Toom had the chance at a third set as he led Yee 4-3 when play was concluded.
The Razorbacks will host their next SEC opponent, Alabama, at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center on March 5 at 2 p.m., CT.
Arkansas vs Vanderbilt
Feb 27, 2015 at Fayetteville, Ark.
(Dills Indoor Tennis Center)
No. 16 Vanderbilt 4, Arkansas 0
1. #1 Gonzales Austin/Rhys Johnson (VANDY) def. Santiago Munoz/Branch Terrell (ARK) 7-5
2. Pen Binet/Baker Newman (VANDY) vs. Johan den Toom/William Albanese (ARK) 5-5
3. Suresh Eswaran/Daniel Valent (VANDY) def. Jovan Parlic/Giammarco Micolani (ARK) 6-3
1. #8 Gonzales Austin (VANDY) def. Giammarco Micolani (ARK) 6-4, 6-4
2. Rhys Johnson (VANDY) vs. Jovan Parlic (ARK) 7-6 (9-7), 3-1 (VU won first match and led the second)
3. Kris Yee (VANDY) vs. Johan den Toom (ARK) 7-5, 3-4 (VU won first match and Ark. led the second)
4. Daniel Valent (VANDY) def. William Albanese (ARK) 6-2, 6-0
5. Suresh Eswaran (VANDY) def. Santiago Munoz (ARK) 6-2, 6-4
6. Baker Newman (VANDY) vs. David Herrerias (ARK) 6-2, 5-3 (VU won first match and led the second)
Vanderbilt 10-2, 1-0 SEC; National ranking #16
Arkansas men’s tennis 10-5, 0-1 SEC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,5,1)
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.