STARKVILLE, Miss. – The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team faced a 4-0 defeat by Mississippi State at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre on Saturday.
With the loss the Razorbacks fell to 11-6 overall, 1-2 in the SEC, while the Bulldogs improved to 10-3 overall and 2-0 in conference play.
The match got off to a heated start as Arkansas and Mississippi State each claimed a doubles match apiece. Despite junior Santiago Munoz and freshman Branch Terrell losing the No.1 doubles court to No.27 ranked Julian Cash and Florian Lakat 6-3, sophomore Johan den Toom and junior William Alabanese made up ground. Playing in the No. 3 position, the Razorback pair netted a 7-5 win over Juan Cruz Estevarena and Robin Haden.
With the doubles point coming down to the No. 2 spot, senior Jovan Parlic and junior Giammarco Micolani fought in a close match with No. 46 Mate Cutura and Tassilo Schmid, but ultimately fell 7-5.
In singles, Micolani won a commanding 6-4 first set over No. 114 Florian Lakat. But, the overall match was decided quickly as Arkansas fell in straight sets on courts five, two and four to solidify the Bulldogs’ 4-0 win.
Arkansas continues its time on the road as it faces Ole Miss at the Palmer/Saloum Tennis Center in Oxford, Mississippi at 5 p.m., CT on Thursday.
Arkansas vs Mississippi State
March 7, 2015 at Starkville, Miss.
(A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre)
Mississippi State 4, Arkansas 0
1. No. 27 Julian Cash/Florian Lakat (MSU) def. Santiago Munoz/Branch Terrell (ARK) 6-3
2. No. 46 Mate Cutura/Tassilo Schmid (MSU) def. Jovan Parlic/Giammarco Micolani (ARK) 7-5
3. Johan den Toom/William Albanese (ARK) def. Juan Cruz Estevarena/Robin Haden (MSU) 7-5
1. Giammarco Micolani (ARK) vs. No. 114 Florian Lakat (MSU) 6-4, 1-3 (Ark. won 1st set, Miss. State led 2nd)
2. Juan Cruz Estevarena (MSU) def. Jovan Parlic (ARK) 6-1, 6-2
3. No. 97 Tassilo Schmid (MSU) vs. Johan den Toom (ARK) 7-5, 1-2 (Miss. State won 1st set, Ark. led 2nd)
4. Mate Cutura (MSU) def. William Albanese (ARK) 6-2, 6-3
5. Julian Cash (MSU) def. Santiago Munoz (ARK) 6-1, 6-4
6. Rishab Agarwal (MSU) vs. David Herrerias (ARK) 6-3, 2-2 (Miss. State won 1st set)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,2,4)
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.