COLUMBIA, S.C. – In its final regular season match of 2015, the University of Arkansas men’s tennis team was defeated, 4-1, by South Carolina at the Carolina Tennis center on Saturday.
With the loss the Razorbacks fell to 11-15 overall, 1-11 in the SEC, while the Gamecocks improved to 14-14 overall and 3-9 in conference play.
After losing, 6-2, in the No. 1 doubles position, Arkansas continued to fight. Playing in the No. 3 spot, sophomore Johan den Toom and junior William Albanese battled with Andrew Schafer and Andrew Adams, but ultimately fell 7-5. Senior Jovan Parlic and junior Giammarco Micolani were leading Sam Swank and Thomas Mayrone, 5-4, when doubles play concluded.
The Gamecocks took the first singles win of the day as Kyle Koch defeated junior Santiago Munoz, 6-3, 6-2, on court two. Shortly after, sophomore Juan Marino netted a commanding 6-2, 6-2 victory over Mayronne in the No. 6 position to bring the score to 2-1.
den Toom fought back from a, 6-0, first set loss to Schafer on court four. The sophomore defeated Schafer 6-4 in the second, but could not hold on to momentum and fell 6-2 in the third set. In the final completed singles match of the day, Pinheiro bettered Parlic, 6-4, 6-3, in the No. 3 spot.
With the regular season concluded, Arkansas will next compete in the Southeastern Conference Tournament which will take place April 15-19 in College Station, Texas.
Arkansas vs South Carolina
April 11, 2015 at Columbia, S.C.
(Carolina Tennis Center)
South Carolina 4, Arkansas 1
1. #39 Kyle Koch/Thiago Pinheiro (SC) def. Santiago Munoz/Branch Terrell (ARK)6-2
2. Jovan Parlic/Giammarco Micolani (ARK) led Sam Swank/Thomas Mayrone (SC) 4-5
3. Andrew Schafer/Andrew Adams (SC) def. John den Toom/William Albanese (ARK) 7-5
1. Giammarco Micolani (ARK) led Andrew Adams (SC) 2-6, 6-5
2. Kyle Koch (SC) def. Santiago Munoz (ARK) 6-3, 6-2
3. Thiago Pinheiro (SC) def. Jovan Parlic (ARK) 6-4, 6-3
4. Andrew Schafer (SC) def. John den Toom (ARK) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
5. David Herrerias (ARK) led Sam Swank (SC) 6-3, 3-6, 2-0
6. Juan S. Marino (ARK) def. Thomas Mayronne (SC) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,6,4,3)
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.