TUSCALOOSA, Ala. –The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team won their first SEC match under new head coach Andy Jackson Sunday, winning a 4-3 come-from-behind decision over Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Ala..
The Razorbacks won the doubles point for the second straight match with wins on courts 1 and 2. The No. 41 pair of seniors Hall Fess and Pete Thomason won their third SEC match to move to 3-1 in league play, taking down their opponents 8-7 (7-2). Seniors Mike Nott and Manfred Jeske, the other ranked pair at No. 56, also took down their opponents in a smooth 8-4 victory, notching their first win of the season.
Taking a 1-0 lead into singles play, the Razorbacks quickly found themselves down 3-1 with only three courts left in action. Arkansas held leads on all three courts and pulled each victory out in three-set decisions.
Junior Jovan Parlic struck first, eliminating his opponent 3â€6, 6â€3, 6â€2. Freshman Johan den Toom was the next Razorback to finish, winning a 4â€6, 7â€6 (8â€6), 6â€3 decision for his third SEC victory in four matches. Den Toom went on a six-match win streak earlier this spring and is now halfway to repeating that feat.
Senior Manfred Jeske was the last in play and it came down to a third set on court 2. After tiebreakers in the first two sets, 6â€7 (2â€7), 7â€6 (11â€9), Jeske came out blazing in the third and stayed cool to win 6-2.
The victory propels Arkansas to 1-3 in league play, the first time Arkansas has taken down Alabama since before 2006.
The Razorbacks return home to host a doubleheader on Friday, facing Texas A&M at 3 p.m. and Nebraska-Omaha at 7 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Arkansas vs Alabama
March 9, 2014 at Tuscaloosa, Ala.
(Alabama Tennis Stadium)
Arkansas 4, Alabama 3
1. #17 Daniil Proskura (UA) def. Mike Nott (AR) 6â€1, 6â€2
2. Manfred Jeske (AR) def. Nikko Madregallejo (UA) 6â€7 (2â€7), 7â€6 (11â€9), 6â€2
3. Stuart Kenyon (UA) def. Hall Fess (AR) 7â€5, 6â€4
4. Jovan Parlic (AR) def. Sean Donohue (UA) 3â€6, 6â€3, 6â€2
5. Johan den Toom (AR) def. Andrew Goodwin (UA) 4â€6, 7â€6 (8â€6), 6â€3
6. Hayes Brewer (UA) def. Christian Lee (AR) 6â€1, 6â€2
1. Manfred Jeske/Mike Nott (AR) def. Sean Donohue/Hayes Brewer (UA) 8â€4
2. Hall Fess/Pete Thomason (AR) def. Nikko Madregallejo/Daniil Proskura (UA) 8â€7 (7â€2)
3. Andrew Goodwin/Stuart Kenyon (UA) def. Jacob Herndon/Johan den Toom (AR) 8â€5
Arkansas 9â€9, 1â€3 SEC
Alabama 7â€7, 2â€2 SEC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,6,3,4,5,2)
Download: vs Alabama Box.pdf