AUBURN, Ala. – The Razorbacks fell in a closely contested 4-3 decision at Auburn on Friday, dropping to 0-3 in SEC play.
Arkansas came out strong, winning the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead over the Tigers heading into singles play. The No. 41 ranked pair of seniors Hall Fess and Pete Thomason won their 12th match of the spring, 8-5, at the No. 2 doubles position and, playing together for the first time, freshman Johan den Toom and redshirt freshman Jacob Herndon put away their foes on court 3, 8-5, to clinch the point.
The Razorbacks won matches on courts 4 and 5 but were unable to finish strong enough to hold on. Den Toom won his second singles math of SEC play and second in a row, taking down his opponent 6-4, 6-1 in straight sets at the No. 5 singles position. Junior Jovan Parlic recorded his first win of SEC play on court 4, making quick work of his opponent, 6-2, 6-1.
Th Razorbacks will go back on the road, traveling to Tuscaloosa to take on the Crimson Tide on Sunday at 2 p.m.
For more information on Arkansas tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.
Tennis Match Results
Arkansas vs Auburn
Mar 07, 2014 at
Auburn 4, Arkansas 3
1. Lukas Ollert (AU) def. Mike Nott (ARK) 6-4, 6-4
2. Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Manfred Jeske (ARK) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
3. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Hall Fess (ARK) 6-2, 6-2
4. Jovan Parli (ARK) def. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Johan de Toom (ARK) def. Petar Tomic (AU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Oliver Plaskett (AU) def. Christian Lee (ARK) 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
1. Daniel Cochrane/Oliver Plaskett (AU) def. Manfred Jeske/Mike Nott (ARK) DNF
2. Hall Fess/Pete Thomason (ARK) def. Lukas Ollert/Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) 8-5
3. Jacob Herndon/Johan de Toom (ARK) def. Petar Tomic/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) 8-5
Arkansas 8-9, 0-3 SEC
Auburn 12-5, 2-1 SEC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,5,4,1,6,2)
Download: vs Auburn box score.pdf