NASHVILLE, Tenn. –The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team (13-16, 3-10) fell to LSU 4-1 at the 2014 SEC Tournament in Nashville, Tenn.
Arkansas was unable to win a set in doubles competition, with Mike Nott/Manfred Jeske falling 8-6 on court one and Jacob Herndon/Jovan Parlic dropping an 8-1 decision on court three.
The Razorbacks opened singles play trailing the Tigers 1-0 and would only score one singles point. The Bulldogs won the first set on four of six courts, Nott and junior Jovan Parlic with the only Arkansas victories. UT ultimately claimed wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 singles positions to take a 3-0 lead before Arkansas began to mount a comeback.
Sophomore Santiago Munoz and freshman Johan den Toom battled back to force 6-6 tiebreakers on courts five and six. Meanwhile, Nott roared back from a 6-1 second set defeat to win 7-5, 1-6, 6-1 on court one and bring the score to 3-1. den Toom was unable to hold on court 5 and, with his defeat, LSU clinched a 4-1 victory over Arkansas.
The Razorbacks finished the 2014 season with a 13-16 (3-10) record, the first season with three SEC wins since 2008. In head coach Andy Jackson’s first season at Arkansas the team recorded wins over #15 Florida, #33 Alabama and LSU, the first top 15 victory since 2006.
“I had as much fun as I’ve ever had coaching tennis this season,” Coach Andy Jackson said. “I’m happy with the way this team played all year and I’m extremely proud of our five seniors.”
For more information on Arkansas men’s tennis, follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.
Apr 16, 2014 at Nashville, Tenn.
(Currey Tennis Center)
LSU 4, Arkansas 1
1. Mike Nott (ARK) def. #84 Chris Simpson (LSU) 7-5, 1-6, 6-1
2. Boris Arias (LSU) def. Manfred Jeske (ARK) 6-2, 6-2
3. Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Hall Fess (ARK) 6-0, 6-3
4. Jovan Parlic (ARK) vs. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-4, 0-6, 4-2, unfinished
5. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) def. Johan den Toom (ARK) 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-5)
6. Santiago Munoz (ARK) vs. Tam Trinh (LSU) 3-6, 6-6 (5-5), unfinished
1. #62 Tam Trinh/Eric Perez (LSU) def. #45 Mike Nott/Manfred Jeske (ARK) 8-6
2. Pete Thomason/Hall Fess (ARK) vs. Chris Simpson/Justin Butsch (LSU) 5-6, unfinished
3. Andrew Korinek/Boris Arias (LSU) def. Jacob Herndon/Jovan Parlic (ARK) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,3,1,5)