comscore script

Razorbacks Denied at LSU, Fall to Tigers in Ov

Razorbacks Denied at LSU, Fall to Tigers in Ov
BATON ROUGE, La. — Michael Jones’ game-winning three-pointer with 1.8 seconds remaining was changed to a game-tying two-point bucket then LSU scored the only basket in overtime and hit enough free throws to get by Arkansas on Wednesday, 66-63.

Arkansas trailed by 12 in the first half and eight in the second, but that was wiped out when official John Hampton gave the signal for a three-pointer after Jones lofted his shot from the top of the key, giving the Razorbacks an apparent 59-58 victory. Lead official Tom Eades signaled a two-pointer on the shot.

After LSU’s half court shot at the buzzer fell short, Eades and Hampton, who were directly across the floor from each other at the top of the three-point line for Jones’ bucket, reviewed the shot “seven or eight times” on a court side monitor. The shot was replayed on the video board inside the arena, and after seeing Jones’ shot, LSU fans and head coach John Brady began lobbying for a traveling call, which is not subject to review.

Following the game, Eades issued the following statement: “When I made the call on the floor, it was originally a two. We went to the replay to be sure. It was inconclusive and didn’t show us his foot was not on the line.”
Arkansas still had a chance to win in overtime but made just five-of-nine free throws.

Glen Davis, LSU’s 6-9, 310-pound freshman forward, who had game highs of 26 points and 18 rebounds, made two free throws to give the Tigers (9-5, 2-1) the early lead. UA tied it at 60-60 on two Ronnie Brewer free throws and moved in front by one on another Brewer free throw with 2:07 left.

Davis, who was eight-of-12 from the field and 10-of-11 at the line, made two more free throws and then a layup with 1:01 left for a 64-61 LSU lead. Eric Ferguson cut the margin to one with two free throws with 30 seconds left before Tack Minor, who missed a one-and-one with 19 seconds to play, made two free throws 14 seconds later for the final margin.

Jones missed a three-pointer at the buzzer to force a second extra period. UA (13-5, 1-4) led by five, 54-49, with 4:34 left on a layup by Brewer. Davis made a layup and Antonio Hudson a three to pull the Tigers within one. A free throw by Hudson tied the game with 1:53 left.

A blocked shot by Davis led to a Hudson layup with 10 seconds left, giving LSU a 58-56 lead. Following a foul, the Hogs inbounded from under their goal to Jones, who took a step to his left with his foot touching the three-point line before appearing to slide his foot back outside the arc and launching the shot.

Arkansas shot 52.6 percent in the first half and 50 percent in the second before missing all seven attempts in overtime to finish at 44 percent. The Razorbacks held LSU to 36.7 percent. The Tigers had a 42-29 rebounding advantage and were 17-of-20 at the line while UA was 11-of-19. Arkansas made eight-of-17 threes, including a three-of-three effort by Olu Famutimi, who scored all 13 of his points in the second half.

Brewer had 17 points, seven rebounds, four assists and three steals, and Jones finished with 15 points. Brandon Bass added 15 points and eight rebounds for LSU.

Arkansas plays host to Auburn Saturday at 1:05 p.m. in a game televised by Jefferson-Pilot Sports.

Sports Category :