FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — A total team effort contributed to a 5-2 win for the Arkansas men’s tennis team on Sunday evening over visiting Oral Roberts. Giammarco Micolani recorded a 6-4, 7-6 (3) victory at No. 1 singles over Amar Saletovic to clinch the deciding point over the the Golden Eagles.
“It made for a long day, but we have a large team and our guys got better today,” head coach Andy Jackson said.
Jose Salazar at No. 2 and David Herrerias at No. 4 also picked up singles victories for the Razorbacks, both winning in straight sets over their opponents. Making his first appearance of the season, Jacob Herndon rounded out the fifth point with a comeback 4-6, 6-2, 7-5 victory over ORU’s Alvaro Santamaria at No. 6 singles.
All three doubles teams clinched victories over the Golden Eagles, including the pair of Herrerias and Juan Marino at No. 3 for Arkansas. They downed Santamaria and Michael Sosnowski 7-6 (4) in a tiebreaker.
In the first match of the day, against No. 17 Oklahoma State, Santiago Munoz and Johan den Toom defeated the No. 53 doubles team of Lukas Finzelberg and Jurence Mendoza 6-3. However, the Cowboys won the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches and earned the first point.
“I feel like Oklahoma State should be one of the top 10 or 15 teams in the country,” Jackson said. “I’m pleased that clearly we could be in the match, but we made too many mistakes with the matches on the line. But that’s a credit to them, and we just have to be better if we want to be where we think we should be by the end of the year.”
In singles play, Adam Sanjurjo beat Tristan Meraut at No. 5 by a score of 6-4, 6-4 in straight sets to even the team score at 1-1. However, OSU won the next three singles matches to clinch the victory. Still, back came Mike Redlicki at No. 1 singles to earn a 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 win over Temur Ismailov.
“Mike Redlicki beat a guy who’s top 450 in the world as a professional player, so he really stood out,” Jackson explained. “We played very well at No. 3 doubles, and also Adam Sanjurjo went in his second college match and won at No. 5 singles pretty handily.”
The last match between the Razorbacks and Cowboys was Santiago Munoz against Lucas Gerch at No. 4 singles. Gerch outlasted Munoz 7-6 (3), 3-6, 6-4 in a hard-fought matchup, and OSU finished the team competition with a 5-2 victory.
1. William Albanese/Giammarco Micolani (AR) def. Jan Pehnec/Amar Saletovic (ORU) 6-4
2. Jacob Herndon/Austin Robles (AR) def. Kenneth Boykin/Barnabas Koncz (ORU) 6-3
3. David Herrerias/Juan Marino (AR) def. Alvaro Santamaria/Michael Sosnowski (ORU) 7-6 (4)
1. Giammarco Micolani (AR) def. Amar Saletovic (ORU) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
2. Jose Salazar (AR) def. Jan Pehnec (ORU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Barnabas Koncz (ORU) def. Juan Marino (AR) 7-5, 7-5
4. David Herrerias (AR) def. Kenneth Boykin (ORU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Michael Sosnowski (ORU) def. Austin Robles (AR) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6. Jacob Herndon (AR) def. Alvaro Santamaria (ORU) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
ORDER OF FINISH (ORU)
Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,2,3,1,5,6)
1. #9 Julian Cash/Arjun Kadhe (OSU) def. Giammarco Micolani/Mike Redlicki (AR) 6-3
2. Lucas Gerch/Temur Ismailov (OSU) def. Jose Salazar/Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 6-4
3. Santiago Munoz/Johan den Toom (AR) def. #53 Lukas Finzelberg/Jurence Mendoza (OSU) 6-3
1. Mike Redlicki (AR) def. Temur Ismailov (OSU) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
2. #68 Julian Cash (OSU) def. Giammarco Micolani (AR) 6-3, 6-3
3. #112 Arjun Kadhe (OSU) def. Jose Salazar (AR) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Lucas Gerch (OSU) def. Santiago Munoz (AR) 7-6 (3), 3-6, 6-4
5. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) def. Tristan Meraut (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Lukas Finzelberg (OSU) def. Johan den Toom (AR) 5-7, 6-4, 6-0
ORDER OF FINISH (OSU)
Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,2,3,6,1,4)