FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The No. 62 Arkansas men’s tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to the 27th-ranked University of Washington Saturday at the Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle. The Razorbacks’ lone team point came at the No. 6 singles position by sophomore Dmitry Lebedev.
The Huskies (6-4) took control of the dual early by sweeping the doubles point with wins on all three courts. Patrik Fisher and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan defeated Blake Strode and Colin Mascall, 8-4, at the top spot. Washington clinched the first team point when Tobi Obenaus and Martin Kildahl beat Lebedev and Matt Hogan, 8-3, at No. 3 doubles. Derek Drabble and Andy Kuharsky completed the doubles sweep with their win over Tyler Tarnasky and Taylor King, 8-7(6).
Arkansas looked to switch the momentum in singles play, but Washington maintained its advantage by winning at positions one through five, including the match-clinching win by Fischer over Mascall, 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 2 spot.
At the No. 1 singles spot, Strode battled back from dropping the first set to Nedunchezhiyan to force a second-set tiebreak, but the St. Louis, Mo., native couldn’t complete the comeback and fell in straight sets, 6-1, 7-6(2). Strode, the 95th-ranked player in the nation, is now 12-8 on the season.
With the match already decided, Lebedev prevented a Washington sweep by winning his fourth consecutive match and defeating Obenaus, 7-5, 6-4, in the last match on court.
Arkansas (6-4) will look to rebound Sunday when it takes on the University of Portland at 12 p.m. CT in Seattle. Log on to www.hogwired.com for complete results and more news about Razorback tennis.
No. 27 Washington 6, No. 62 Arkansas 1
Feb. 23, 2008
1. Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. #95 Blake Strode (UA), 6-1, 7-6(2)
*2. Patrik Fischer (UW) def. Colin Mascall (UA), 6-2, 6-3
3. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Matt Hogan (UA), 6-4, 6-3
4. Derek Drabble (UW) def. Chris Nott (UA), 6-2, 6-0
5. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) def. Bradwin Williams (UA), 6-0, 6-0
6. Dmitry Lebedev (UA) def. Tobi Obenaus (UW), 7-5, 6-4
1. Patrik Fischer/Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Blake Strode/Colin Mascall (UA), 8-4
2. Derek Drabble/Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Tyler Tarnasky/Taylor King (UA), 8-7(6)
3. Tobi Obenaus/Martin Kildahl (UW) def. Dmitry Lebedev/Matt Hogan (UA), 8-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 3, 2); Singles (5, 4, *2, 3, 1, 6)
* – clinching match