FAYETTEVILLE –The University of Arkansas women’s tennis team (2-0) got its spring season off to the right start with a doubleheader sweepof Wichita State at the George M. Billingsley Tennis Center in Fayetteville, Ark., on Sunday.
Led by No. 115 Shannon Hudson andKimberley – Ann Surin each going 3-0 individually on the day, the Razorbacks began with a 4-2 dual-match win andthen locked up the sweep with a 4-3 win over the Shockers.
It marked the second straight season in which Arkansas has opened 2-0, as the Razorbacks went match-for-match against a formidable foe in Wichita State that has won five straight Missouri Valley Conference regular-season and tournament championships.
"It was a total team effort out there today," head coach Michael Hegarty said. "I know the team is excited about the growth that we are already seeing in our team. Itis also definitely a confidence builder to get two good wins today. Wichita State is even better than we already knew and they will be in the NCAA Tournament."
Echoing the words of Coach Hegarty, every Razorback got into the win column at least once against the Shockers, including freshmen Hudson and Shkorupeieva earning their first career spring-season wins at Arkansas.
Four Razorbacks opened the day with singles wins to clinch the first dual-match win, after both coaches decided to lead the first matchwith singles and have doubles play be determinate upon a potential 3-all situation. No. 71Yang Pang, Hudson, Surin and Oleksandra Shkorupeieva each opened their year with wins, combining for a 4-2 Arkansas victory.
Hudson teamed up with Sarah McLean in the second dual match and defeated the ITA Central Region No. 7 doubles pairing of Schiller/Stevens, 6-4.
In the second dual match, Surin and Hudson kept their runs going by earning doubles wins and helpingArkansastake an early1-0 lead.Surin and Hudson struck again for their second singles wins of the day, closing out what was an undefeated (3-0) individual day of competition for the pair. Up 3-1, Brittany Huxley provided the dual-match point for the Razorbacks with a 6-3, 7-6 (8-6) victory overSatjaporn Mahajaroenkul.
Its home opener a success, Arkansas prepares next for ITA Kickoff Weekend inAthens, Ga.,where the Razorbacks will first face off against No. 55 Kansas State on Friday, Jan. 24.
For more information on Arkansas women’s tennis, follow @RazorbackWTEN on Twitter.
Match 1 – Singles Results
1. Yang Pang (AR) def. Rebecca Pedrazzi (WSU) 6-7, 7-6, 10-6
2. Shannon Hudson (AR) def. Julia Schiller (WSU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Lucia Kovalova (WSU) def. Sarah McLean (AR) 6-4, 3-6, 10-6
4. Kimberley – Ann Surin (AR) def. M. Blasco Fernandez (WSU) 6-2, 4-6, 10-7
5. Abby Stevens (WSU) def. Brittany Huxley (AR) 6-1, 6-3
6. Oleksandra Shkorupeieva (AR) def. S. Mahajaroenkul (WSU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
Match 2 – Doubles Results
1. Surin/Huxley (AR) def. Kovalova/Blaskova (WSU) 6-0
2. Pedrazzi/Fernandez (WSU) def. Pang/Araujo (AR) 6-3
3. Hudson/McLean (AR) def. Schiller/Stevens (WSU) 6-4
Match 2 – Singles Results
1. Schiller (WSU) def. Pang (AR) 4-6, 6-4, 10-2
2. Hudson (AR) def. Pedrazzi (WSU) 1-6, 6-2, 10-5
3. Blaskova (WSU) def. McLean (AR) 6-3, 7-5
4. Surin (AR) def. Fernandez (WSU) 6-3, 6-0
5.Stevens (WSU) def. Shkorupeieva (AR) 6-1, 6-4
6. Huxley (AR) def. Mahajaroenkul (WSU) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)