FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Ranked fourth in the nation, Arkansas men’s track and field will travel to Tuscaloosa, Alabama this weekend for the 2016 Southeastern Conference Championships at Sam Bailey Track Stadium.
The conference meet will feature nine of the best programs in the nation, four of which are USTFCCCA top-four teams including No. 1 Texas A&M, No. 2 Florida, No. 3 LSU and No. 4 Arkansas.
SEC Outdoor History
Since joining the conference in 1991-92, the Razorbacks have collected 18 out of a possible 24 outdoor titles, the most recent coming in 2013 by a 29.5-point margin over current defending champions, Florida.
Under the guidance of head coach Chris Bucknam, Arkansas has produced 32 outdoor conference champions during the last seven seasons.
Bucknam, a five-time SEC Outdoor Coach of the Year selection, along with assistant coaches Doug Case and Travis Geopfert, have been methodical in their efforts to ensure a united team presence at the conference matchup year after year.
Victorious in conference competition during the cross country and indoor seasons, the Razorbacks are presented with the opportunity to earn their 15th SEC Triple Crown with a team win in Tuscaloosa.
Arkansas last accomplished the feat during the 2012-13 season earning its 41st NCAA title along the way at the indoor national championships.
Events to Watch
• 100 / 200 – Five or more NCAA-top 10 contenders; Razorbacks to watch: Kenzo Cotton, Jarrion Lawson and Marqueze Washington.
• 800 – Features the fastest collegian in the nation; Razorbacks to watch: Carlton Orange and Ryan Thomas.
• 1,500 / 5K – Rivalry renewed with the return of Ole Miss; Razorbacks to watch: Jack Bruce, Alex George, Gabe Gonzalez and Cale Wallace.
• 400H – Five SEC hurdlers boast sub-51 second times; Razorbacks to watch: Larry Donald and Kemar Mowatt.
• 4-x-100 – Arkansas returns as the defending NCAA champions against formidable foes in Florida, LSU and Texas A&M.
• 4-x-400 – Razorbacks have several weapons in their arsenal for the final race of the meet, all of whom run 46 seconds or faster.
• Jumps – Lawson (long jump), Ken LeGassey (high jump) and Clive Pullen (triple jump) swept the top spots during the indoor season.
• Decathlon – Brad Culp, Lane Austell, Derek Jacobus currently sit as the fifth, sixth and seventh combined events performers in the SEC.
The 2016 SEC Outdoor Track and Field Championships will begin Thursday, May 12 with the men’s decathlon 100-meter dash at 10:30 a.m. CDT.
Meet information and live results can be found at the outdoor championships central.
A live broadcast of the competition on the SEC Network+ will be available on Friday, May 13 at 6:30 p.m. and on Saturday, May 14 at 3:00 p.m.
The championship will also air on Sunday, May 15 via tape delay from 2-4 p.m.
For more information on Arkansas track and field including in-meet updates, follow @RazorbackTF on Twitter.