Gainesville, Fla. – Sophomore support in singles by Maryori Franco and Audrey Bordeleau was not enough to lift the University of Arkansas women’s tennis team past the Louisiana State Tigers in the first round of the Southeastern Conference tournament at the University of Florida.
The seventh-seeded Lady Razorbacks (10-10, 5-7) were upset by 10th-seeded LSU (12-11, 4-8) Wednesday afternoon, 4-2.
Down 0-1 going into singles, LSU quickly took a two-point advantage with a straight-set win on court four.
Franco answered shortly after with a straight set win of her own on court three over LSU’s Anastasiya Dubova. The win draws Franco even for the season in conference play with a 7-7 record. The 6-3, 7-5 win avenges her loss to Dubova in the regular season finale on April 14.
Bordeleau collected the other win for Arkansas on court six over LSU’s Daysi Espinal, 7-6, 6-2. Bordeleau defeated Espinal on the same line five days ago, 2-6, 6-4, 6-1.
The season now becomes a waiting game as the Lady’Backs await selection for their first NCAA Tournament berth since 2001.
For more information on Arkansas tennis or any other Lady Razorback sport, please visit LADYBACKS.COM.
Tennis Match Results:
Wednesday, April 20, 2006
SEC Tournament 1st Round
LSU 4, Arkansas 2
1. Mykala Hedberg (LSU) was leading Vlatka Jovanovic (UA) 7-6, 4-5
2. Marina Chiarelli (LSU) def. Ela Kaluder (UA) def. 7-5, 6-2 (5)
3. Maryori Franco (UA) def. Anastasiya Dubova (LSU) 6-3, 7-5 (2)
4. Lauren Seaman (LSU) def. Melissa Cornett (UA) 6-3, 6-2 (1)
5. Camila Caliari (LSU) def. Karina Ledaja (UA) 1-6, 7-5, 6-0 (3)
6. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) def. Daysi Espinal (LSU) 7-6, 6-2 (4)
1. Maryori Franco/Karina Ledaja (UA) def. Mykala Hedberg/Tiffany Tucker (LSU) 9-7 (2)
2. Marina Chiarelli/Anastasiya Dubova (LSU) def. Ela Kaluder/Audrey Bordleau (UA) 8-6 (3)
3. Daysi Espinal/Lauren Seaman (LSU) def. Melissa Cornett/Vlatka Jovanovic (UA) 8-6 (1)