FAYETTEVILLE — Trailing 3-1 and only three courts remaining, the No. 45 University of Arkansas women’s tennis team took it court-by-court and tied things up with No. 20 Auburn (12-2, 2-0 SEC), but was unable to finish off the comeback bid in Fayetteville, Ark., on Friday.
Home in the comforts of the George M. Billingsley Tennis Center, the Razorbacks (5-7, 0-3 SEC) were unable to pull out the upset win, but saw Shannon Hudson, Sarah McLean and Oleksandra Shkorupeieva get back in the winning column and secure momentum heading into the team’s next match hosting No. 4 Alabama on Sunday.
DUAL MATCH RECAP– The Razorbacks kicked things off with a dominating 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles courtesy Yang Pang and Shkorupeieva, but the Tigers came back and won the final two matches and earned the doubles point for a 1-0 lead.
– Hudson helped Arkansas bounce back in a big way for its first team point, upsetting No. 114 Emily Flickinger with a dominating 6-1, 6-3 straight-set victory at No. 2 singles.
– Auburn responded with victories at No. 2 and No. 3 singles regain and build a 3-1 advantage with only three courts remaining in singles play.
– Shkorupeieva won at No. 5 singles (3-6, 6-4, 6-2) to make it just a 3-2 lead for Auburn, then in a mater of minutes McLean grinded out a momentum-shifting victory at No. 4 singles (7-6 [7-3], 7-5) to tie up the dual match at 3-3.
– The dual match came down to No. 6 singles with newly-inserted Flavia Araujo (first start at singles this season). The sophomore gave it a valiant effort after trailing by as much as 0-5 in the third set, but was unable to come up with the late dramatics and was defeated (4-6, 6-1, 6-2).
BACK TO WINNING WAYS– McLean (L5), Shannon Hudson (L4) and Oleksandra Shkorupeieva (L2) each ended individual losing streaks with wins in singles play on Friday.
– Hudson earned her first win over a ranked opponent this season and is now tied for the team lead with six wins (6-5) in singles. The freshman earned her first SEC win and improved to 1-2 in league play this season.
– McLean improved to 4-7 in singles play and earned her first win at No. 4 singles (1-1) this season.
– Shkorupeieva matched classmate Hudson with her first-career SEC win and team-leading sixth victory in singles this season. The freshman earned her first win at No. 5 singles (1-2).
UP NEXTNo. 45 Arkansas hosts No. 4 Alabama on Sunday at noon inside the George M. Billingsley Tennis Center.
FOLLOW USFor exclusive team content, updates and more information on Arkansas women’s tennis, follow @RazorbackWTEN on Twitter.
FINAL: #20 Auburn 4, #45 Arkansas 3SINGLES RESULTS1) No. 26 Pleun Bergmans (AU) def. Yang Pang (ARK) 6-2, 7-5
2) Shannon Hudson (ARK) def. No. 114 Emily Flickinger (AU) 6-1, 6-3
3) Paula de Man (AU) def. Kimberley – Ann Surin (ARK) 6-2, 7-5
4) Sarah McLean (ARK) def. Michala Kucharova (AU) 7-6 (7-3), 7-5
5) Oleksandra Shkorupeieva (ARK) def. Reka Muller (AU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
6) Jackie Kasler (AU) def. Flavia Araujo (ARK) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
DOUBLES RESULTS1) No. 29 Bergmans/Flickinger (AU) def. Surin/Araujo (ARK) 8-6
2) Kucharova/Muller (AU) def. McLean/Hudson (ARK) 8-4
3) Pang/Shkorupeieva (ARK) def. Kasler/Pfeifler (AU) 8-1