CHARLESTON, S.C. – University of Arkansas junior Regina Plasencia fired a three-under 69 and is tied for third leading the No. 7/9 Razorback women’s golf team to second place after first round action at the Powerade Cougar Classic in Charleston, S.C., Sunday.
The Guadalajara, Mexico, native started her round on hole one in the rain-hampered first day of play on the Yeamans Hall course. She picked up back-to-back birdies on the second and third holes and turned with a one-under 35 through the first nine holes.
Plasencia added two more birdies on the 11th and 17 holes to finish with a three-under 69. Junior Gabriela Lopez is tied for ninth overall shooting 70 followed by a three-way tie with sophomores Summar Roachell and transfer Samantha Marks along with freshman Alana Uriell all of whom shot even par 72 in the first round.
“Obviously second place today is a solid start for us today,” Arkansas head coach Shauna Estes-Taylor said. “Our goal was to come out and start with the gas pedal down and really go out and attack this golf course. The team did a nice job of just going one-by-one-by-one.
“Regina was three-under and our leader and she was just solid all day long and made a lot of clutch putts. Gabriela was two-under and she had six birdies and it was a solid round. Summar, Alana and Samantha to all shoot par is great. Obviously for Alana and Samantha it is their first rounds as Razorbacks and it is a great thing to come out of the gates strong. Summar had a strong finish biriding three of her last four holes.”
The @RazorbackWGolf team combined for a 283, just one stroke behind leader No. 22 Wake Forest who is in the clubhouse with a 282. No. 17 North Carolina State is third with 287 followed by No. 23 Central Florida and No. 20 Virginia in a tie for fifth overall with 288. The rest of the field includes No. 19 Mississippi State with 289, No. 3 UCLA with 290, No, 69 College of Charleston and No. 2 Duke tied for ninth with 294, No. 31 North Carolina in 12th with 295, No. 48 Georgia with 296, No. 21 Florida with 297, No. 72 Ole Miss with 298, No. 42 Wisconsin with 299, No. 40 Baylor with 304, No. 85 Maryland with 304, No. 75 Missouri with 305, No. 51 Penn State and No. 195 UNCG with 307, No. 114 Indiana with 308 and No. 14 Clemson rounding out the field with 309.
INSIDE THE ROPES
* @ReginaPlasencia leads @RazorbackWGolf and is tied for third with 69 in the first round
* There are two rounds remaining at Yeamans Hall
* The course is playing par 72 and 6,204 yards
* @RazorbackWGolf played the par 4 holes two-under leading the field
* @RazorbackWGolf had 19 birdies – the second-most of any team in the field
* @ReginaPlasencia played the par four holes three-under to lead the field
* @GabyLopezBurton played the par four holes two under tied for second against the field
* Freshman Alana Uriell had 14 pars in 18 holes
* @GabyLopezButon had six birdies tying for third against the field
* Wake Forest’s Sierra Sims leads the field with a 65
For more information on Arkansas women’s golf, follow @RazorbackWGolf on Twitter.