AUBURN – A fast start in doubles came to a quick halt in singles as the Auburn Tigers defeated the University of Arkansas Lady Razorbacks, 5-2, in women’s tennis.
The loss drops Arkansas, 9-10, to 2-7 in Southeastern Conference play while the 36th-ranked Tigers move up to 4-5 in SEC matches and 10-7 overall.
The Lady’Backs took the doubles point with victories on the first two courts, but were stymied in singles with a lone victory on the sixth court by Rachel Wilhelm over Heather Bybee, 6-1, 6-2.
The return of sophomore Aurelija Miseviciute to the lineup could not help the Lady’Backs. Miseviciute sat out the first part of the season, and had her eligibility restored this weekend.
The former No. 1 for Arkansas took the second court, but lost a three-set marathon for her opening match, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4, to Alex Haney.
Arkansas’ current lead singles player, 37th-ranked Ela Kaluder, lost in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3, to 27th-ranked Fani Chifchieva.
The Lady’Backs continue on the road this weekend at Alabama this Sunday.
#36 Auburn 5, #58 Arkansas 2
Apr 06, 2007 at Auburn, Ala.
1. #27 Fani Chifchieva (AU) def. #37 Ela Kaluder (ARK) 6-3, 6-3
2. Alex Haney (AU) def. Aurelija Miseviciute (ARK) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
3. Melissa Koning (AU) def. Maryori Franco (ARK) 5-7, 7-5, 6-4
4. Whitney Chappell (AU) def. Nanar Airapetian (ARK) 6-2, 6-0
5. Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Audrey Bordeleau (ARK) 6-1, 3-6, 6-4
6. Rachel Wilhelm (ARK) def. Heather Bybee (AU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Maryori Franco/Nanar Airapetian (ARK) def. #14 Alex Haney/Melissa Koning (AU) 9-8 (7-3)
2. Aurelija Miseviciute/Audrey Bordeleau (ARK) def. Fani Chifchieva/Kelly Adams (AU) 8-6
3. Whitney Chappell/Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Ela Kaluder/Rachel Wilhelm (ARK) 8-2