@RAZORBACKMBB (13-8, 2-6) vs. Alabama (9-12, 3-5)
Date: Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Time: 7:05 P.M.
City: Fayetteville, Ark.
Site: Bud Walton Arena (19,200)
TV: SEC TV
Online Video: ESPN3 & WatchESPN
Talent: Dave Neal (P-B-P) & Jimmy Dykes (Analyst)
Audio: Razorback/IMG Sports Network
Talent: Chuck Barrett (P-B-P) & Rick Schaeffer (Analyst)
Live Stats: www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com
Hashtags: #Fastest40 | #WeHOGS
Current Streak: L2
Last 5 Games: 1-4 | Last 10 Games: 4-6
Home Record: 11-2 | Current Streak: L1
Vs. Alabama: 28-27 | Streak: L4
At BWA: 15-6 | Streak: L1
Last Meeting: Alabama, 59-56 • Jan. 31, 2013
AT A GLANCE
After a one-year hiatus, Arkansas will welcome Alabama to Bud Walton Arena on Wednesday. The two teams have met at BWA in 21 of Arkansas’ previous 22 seasons in the SEC except for 2012-13, when they collided just once in the regular season in Tuscaloosa. The Razorbacks are looking to avoid their first three-game losing streak of the season and first back-to-back losses at home since the end of the 2011-12 campaign, a span of 31 games. Arkansas leads the SEC and ranks 18th in the nation in scoring offense (82.0), highlighted by 87.8 ppg at home.
@RazorbackMBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• Averaging 87.8 points per game at home this season (11-2).
• Lead the SEC and rank 18th in the nation in scoring (82.0) with no players in the top 20 in the SEC
• Only team in the SEC to score 100 points three times, which is the same total produced the
previous seven years combined.
• 10 different players have reached double figures while six players have led the team in scoring.
• Also lead the SEC in assists (15.7), assist/turnover ratio (1.3) and turnover margin (+6.3), a figure
it has led the league in both years under coach Anderson.
• Turnover margin of +6.4 ranks fourth in the nation, while its out-scoring opponents by 10.3 per
game in points off turnovers.
• Won the turnover battle by double-digits five times and have scored 20+ points off turnovers in 12
• Finished with equal or more assists than turnovers in 18 games, while opponents have
accomplished the feat just four times.
• Own a 5-0 record when passing out 20+ assists while coach Anderson is 80-1 all-time when his
teams accomplish the feat.
• Won the turnover battle in 24 of last 25 games dating back to last year and 73 of 85 games under
• The Arkansas bench is averaging 34.1 points, has supplied a double figure scorer in all but three
games and has out-scored the opposition 17 times resulting in a +13.8 per game margin.
• Forced opponents into 20 turnovers 20 times (19-1), including six times (6-0) this season, under
Anderson, while coming away with 10+ steals in 30 contests (22-8).
• Anderson’s #Fastest40 style of play has resulted in his teams winning the turnover battle in 325 of
383 career games.
• Played three straight overtime games vs. Florida, vs. Kentucky and at Georgia, a first in program
history ... previous three overtime games came over a span of 101 contests.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES
Junior RASHAD MADDEN has made a big jump from last year, putting up career numbers in nearly every category this season.
Category 12-13 13-14
Total Points 130 263
Scoring Average 4.2 13.2
Double Figure Games 2 16
20-Point Games 0 4
Team Leader in Scoring 1 7
Field Goal Pct. .467 .491
Three-Pointers 7 35
3PT FG Pct. .200 .449
Rebounds 2.4 2.9
• Reached double figures in all eight SEC games.
• Has 42 points in the second half the last three games, reaching double figures in the final 20
minutes each contest.
• Averaging 10.1 points in the second half of SEC play.
• Made 31 threes over the last 15 games as a starter compared to 24 over the first 68 games of his
• First Razorback to reach double figures in the first eight SEC games since Courtney Fortson did so
in 2010 (13 games).
Over the last three games, junior guard RASHAD MADDEN and freshman big man BOBBY PORTIS have established themselves as a formidable inside-out combo with a combined 36.3 points, good for 47.6 percent of the scoring. Madden has led the team in scoring the last three games, going for 20.3 points per night, while Portis has led the way on the boards each time with averages of 16.3 points and seven rebounds. In SEC play, Madden has led the way in scoring six times while Portis has been tops on the glass in five games.
HEAD COACHING MATCHUP
Record at Arkansas: 50-35 (3rd Season)
Overall Record: 250-133 (12th Season)
Vs. Alabama: 0-3
Head Coach: Anthony Grant (Dayton ‘87)
Record at Alabama: 95-64 (5th Season)
Overall Record: 171-89 (8th Season)
Vs. Arkansas: 5-2
• Lost four of its last five games.
• Own a 0-5 record on the road and have lost eight straight away from home dating back to last
• Opponents are 12-1 when scoring more than 65 points while Alabama is 8-0 when allowing 65 or
• Third game of a seven-game stretch in which it plays five contests on the road.
• Senior Trevor Releford ranks seventh in the SEC in scoring (18.3) and is coming off his sixth 20
point game of the year.
• Releford, a member of the Bob Cousy Award Watch List, is the program’s all-time leader in steals
(236) and has 1,650 career points.
• Redshirt sophomore Retin Obasohan is second on the team in scoring (11.7), getting to the free
throw line a team-best 122 times and is tied with Releford with 42 steals.
Wednesday is the first of two meetings this season and the 22nd time in Arkansas’ 23 years in the SEC the two teams will meet twice in the regular season. Alabama has taken the last four meetings to close Arkansas’ lead in the all-time series to 28-27. The Crimson Tide’s recent four-game streak in the second-longest by either team over the 55 meetings, while they own a 23-22 edge since Arkansas joined the SEC. Out of the 55 meetings, 34 have been decided by 10 points or less.
STARTING 5 QUICK 5 HITS
• Averaging 17.6 points in league play to rank 10th in the SEC.
• Reached double figures in 16 of the last 18 games.
• Scored 20+ points in three SEC contests.
• Led the team in scoring six of eight SEC games.
• Team-high 35 threes after 24 combined his first two years.
• Averaging 5.0 points with 19 starts.
• Had first career three-game double figure scoring streak.
• Committed just eight turnovers of his last 356 minutes played.
• Had career-highs in points (12) and threes (3) at Georgia.
• Has a positive or equal assist/turnover ratio in all but one game.
• Arkansas is 7-2 all-time when he reaches double figures.
• Averaging 6.5 points per game.
• Second with 29 threes after a team-best 33 in 2012-13.
• Has made a three-pointer in 14 games.
• Hit a trio of threes in four contests.
• Averaging 8.7 points & 5.6 rebounds with a team-best 30 steals.
• Has led the team on the boards six times, including three in SEC.
• Season-high 16 points at Tennessee with 14 in the second half.
• Went for a double-double of 16 points and 14 boards vs. Florida.
• Career 45 percent (15-33) shooter from three in SEC play.
• Only Razorback to start all 21 games.
• Two-time SEC Freshman of the Week - Dec. 9 & Jan. 6.
• One of three SEC rookies in the T-25 in scoring & T-15 in rebounding.
• Second on the team in scoring (12.3) and tops in rebounding (6.5).
• Reached double figures in 15 games with three double-doubles.