@RAZORBACKMBB (16-9, 5-7) vs. South Carolina (10-15, 3-9)
Date: Wednesday, February 19, 2014
Time: 8:00 P.M.
City: Fayetteville, Ark.
Site: Bud Walton Arena (19,200)
TV: Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS)
Online Video: ESPN3 & WatchESPN
Talent: Matt Stewart (P-B-P) & Barry Booker (Analyst)
Audio: Razorback/IMG Sports Network
Talent: Chuck Barrett (P-B-P) & Rick Schaeffer (Analyst)
Satellite Radio: Sirius 108, XM 199
Live Stats: www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com
Hashtags: #Fastest40 | #WeHOGS
Last 5 Games: 3-2 | Streak: W1
Home Record: 13-2 | Streak: W2
Vs. South Carolina: 14-11 | Streak: L1
At Bud Walton Arena: 7-3 | Streak: W2
Last Meeting: S. Carolina, 75-54 • January 26, 2013
AT A GLANCE
With wins in three of its last four games, Arkansas will look to keep the momentum going on Wednesday when it hosts South Carolina at 8 p.m. on Comcast Sports Southeast. The Razorbacks are 3-1 over their last four games with their lone loss being a one-point defeat at Missouri. Arkansas has played four games decided by two points or less in SEC play, the most since the 2004-05 season. A win would give the Razorbacks four wins in a five-game span in February for the second straight year under head coach MIKE ANDERSON.
@RazorbackMBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• Has appeared on the #SCtop10 eight times.
• One of three Division I programs and the only BCS team to rank in the top 30 nationally in scoring
(81.2/T-19th), assists (15.5/30th), steals (8.4/16th) and blocks (5.5/29th).
• Lead the SEC and rank tied for 19th in the nation in scoring (81.2) with no players in the top 20 in
the SEC in scoring.
• The 81.2 points per game is the most since 1997-98.
• Only team in the SEC to score 100 points three times, which is the same total produced the
previous seven years combined.
• 10 different players have reached double figures while six players have led the team in scoring.
• The Arkansas bench is averaging 33.0 points, has supplied a double figure scorer in 20 games and
has out-scored the opposition 20 times resulting in a +14.1 per game margin.
• Also lead the SEC in assists (15.5), assist/turnover ratio (1.3) and turnover margin (+5.9), a figure
it has led the league in both years under coach Anderson.
• Turnover margin of +5.9 ranks fourth in the nation.
• Won the turnover battle by double-digits five times and have scored 20+ points off turnovers in 13
• Finished with a positive assist/turnover ration in 22 games, while opponents have accomplished the
feat just four times, including just two in SEC action.
• Own a 5-0 record when passing out 20+ assists while coach Anderson is 80-1 all-time when his
teams accomplish the feat.
• Won the turnover battle in 28 of last 29 games dating back to last year and 77 of 89 games under
• Hit a three-pointer in 829 consecutive games, good for the sixth-longest streak in the nation.
• Forced opponents into 20 turnovers 20 times (19-1), including six times (6-0) this season, under
Anderson, while coming away with 10+ steals in 31 contests (23-8).
• Anderson’s #Fastest40 style of play has resulted in his teams winning the turnover battle in 329 of
387 career games.
WHAT TIME IS IT? @BPORTISTIME!
Freshman BOBBY PORTIS collected his third SEC Freshman of the Week award last Monday which was also his 19th birthday. Portis’ third weekly conference accolade came after a 2-0 week for the Razorbacks which saw the 6-foot-10 forward average 21.5 points, 7.0 rebounds and 3.0 blocks while shooting 17-of-25 from the field. Portis’ week was highlighted by an Arkansas freshman record 35 points against Alabama that included nine boards and six blocks. A native of Little Rock, Portis’ three SEC Freshman of the Week accolades are tied for the most by a Razorback, equaling the total by current Houston Rocket PATRICK BEVERLEY in the 2006-07 campaign. Portis is also tied with LSU freshman Jordan Mickey for the most weekly honors this season.
Category Stat SEC Overall SEC Freshman
Points 13.2 22nd 6th
Rebounds 6.7 11th 4th
Offensive Reb. 2.6 11th 3rd
Field Goal Pct. .539 3rd 2nd
Blocks 1.4 T-8th T-4th
Double-Doubles 3 T-7th 3rd
SEC Weekly Awards 3 -- T-1st
HEAD COACHING MATCHUP
Record at Arkansas: 53-36 (3rd Season)
Overall Record: 253-134 (12th Season)
Vs. South Carolina: 1-1
Head Coach: Frank Martin (FIU ‘93)
Record at South Carolina: 24-33 (2nd Season)
Overall Record: 141-87 (7th Season)
Vs. Arkansas: 1-0
SCOUTING SOUTH CAROLINA
• Has won back-to-back SEC games for the first time since 2011 and is looking for its first three
game SEC win streak since 2009.
• Own a 0-9 record on the road and has lost 13 straight away from home in SEC action.
• Allowed 70+ points in 17 games, going 3-14 in those contests, including 0-9 in SEC play.
• Reigning SEC Freshman of the Week Sindarius Thornwell averaged 20.5 points and 5.0 assists over
last week’s two wins.
• Thornwell ranks 16th in the SEC and third among league freshman in scoring at 13.9 per game.
• Senior Brenton Williams gives the Gamecocks two players in the top 20 of the SEC in scoring at
• Williams had a four-game span in late January and early February when he averaged 25.5 points.
• Williams is second in the SEC in three-point percentage (.425), hitting 31-of-61 the last eight
Arkansas owns a 14-11 edge in the all-time series, winning the first six meetings between the two teams when it joined the SEC in 1991-92. Since then, the longest win streak turned in by either program is two games, as the home team has won 10 of the last 11 meetings, including the last five. Arkansas is 13-3 against South Carolina when scoring 70+ points.
STARTING 5 QUICK 5 HITS
• Averaging 16.3 points in league play to rank 11th in the SEC.
• Reached double figures in 19 of the last 22 games.
• Scored 20+ points in four SEC contests.
• Has led the team in scoring eight of 12 SEC games.
• Team-high 39 threes after 24 combined his first two years.
• Started the last 14 games and is averaging 4.5 points.
• No turnovers in eight of the last 11 games.
• Has a positive or equal assist/turnover ratio in all but two games.
• Committed no turnovers in 15 games.
• Had career-highs in points (12) and threes (3) at Georgia.
• Hit game-winning shots vs. Kentucky and at Vanderbilt.
• Landed on SportsCenter’s Top 10 plays seven times this season.
• Reached double figures 18 times, including eight off the bench.
• Team leader with 25 dunks.
• Arkansas is 6-1 when he has multiple dunks.
• Averaging 14.0 points on 13-of-19 shooting the last 3 games.
• Career 51 percent (21-41) shooter from three in SEC play.
• Led the team on the boards eight times, including five in SEC.
• Has scored a season-high 16 points three times, all in SEC play.
• Averaging 11 points in the 2nd half of three 16-point SEC outings.
• Three-time SEC Freshman of the Week - Dec. 9, Jan. 6 & Feb. 10.
• Scored an Arkansas freshman record 35 points vs. Alabama.
• Team leader in scoring (13.2) and rebounding (6.7).
• Vying to become first freshman to lead Arkansas in pts & reb.
• Only Razorback to start all 25 games.