Redshirt freshman quarterback Cole Kelley became the first Arkansas freshman starting quarterback to defeat a Southeastern Conference opponent on the road since 2006 when he led the Razorbacks to a 38-37 win, after trailing by 24 points, last Saturday at Ole Miss.
Kelly, who picked up SEC Freshman of the Week honors, for his efforts in the Hogs’ victory, manufactured a 62-yard drive after the Razorbacks took over at their own 22, trailing 37-35 with 4:04 left in the game, to set up Connor Limpert’s 34-yard game-winning field goal. He finished the contest 19-of-30 passing for 189 yards and three touchdowns against just one interception, while adding a 15-yard rushing score. The Louisiana product accounted for 14 of Arkansas’ first downs with 10 coming through the air and four on the ground.
Kelley became the first FBS freshman to throw three touchdown passes and rush for a touchdown in a conference game this season. The 6-7, 268-pound signal caller is the fifth Razorback and the only freshman to accomplish the feat during the SEC era.
On the season, Kelley has completed 68 of 116 passes for 738 yards, seven touchdowns against two interceptions, while also finding the end zone once on the ground. His seven passing touchdowns are tied for No. 7 nationally (No. 2 in the SEC) among freshman and are the most by a Razorback freshman since Mitch Mustain finished the 2006 season with 10.
Below is a closer look at Kelley’s performance through seven games played in 2017:
At A Glance
• 57 of 98 for 552 yards, four passing TDs and 1 rushing TD against two picks in three starts.
• 68 of 116 for 738 yards, seven passing TDs and 1 rushing TD to two interceptions on the year.
• One of six QBs in the SEC to throw three TDs and rush for a TD in a game this season.
• One of three QBs in the SEC to throw three TDs and rush for a TD in an SEC game this season.
• 6 of 7 TD passes have been in conference play, which ranks tied for No. 5 in the SEC.
• 3 of 7 TD passes have been on third down, which ranks tied for No. 5 in the SEC.
• 33 of 68 completions have gone for a first down.
• 692 passing yards in October are the third most in the SEC during the month.
• 23 completions have gained 15+ yards, while six have gone for 25+ yards.
• 14 rushes have converted first downs, while six gained 10+ yards.
• Eight first-down runs have been on third-down attempts.
• Longest rush is a 15-yard TD, while his longest completion is 46 yards.
• Leads the SEC in fourth-quarter completion percentage (65.9).
Among FBS Freshman Quarterbacks
• Only one to throw three touchdowns and rush for one in a conference game.
• One of two with 3+ passing touchdowns and a rushing touchdown in the same game.
• One of five with 3+ passing touchdowns in a conference game.
• One of nine with 3+ passing touchdowns in a single game this season.
In The Red Zone
• Completed 12 of 16 passes for 63 yards and five touchdowns.
• 75 percent completion percentage is No. 2 in the SEC and No. 8 nationally.
• Five touchdowns is tied for No. 6 in the SEC.
• 211.21 passer rating, which ranks No. 6 in the SEC and tops among freshmen.