AT A GLANCE
Riding a four-game win streak, Arkansas will open the New Year and close non-conference play on Saturday in its second-ever meeting with Utah Valley.
•The Razorbacks will look to complete their third unbeaten non-conference season at Bud Walton Arena under head coach Mike Anderson.
•Arkansas will look to extend its current 14-game home win streak.
•Arkansas is one of three teams in the top 15 nationally in scoring (T-7th), three-point field goal percentage (13th), assists (2nd) and turnover margin (4th).
•Sophomore BOBBY PORTIS is the first Razorback to go for at least 18 points and seven rebounds in six straight since CORLISS WILLIAMSON did so as a sophomore in 1994.
• Arkansas leads the SEC in scoring by over nine points per game at 84.9.
Over the last 3 games, junior MICHAEL QUALLS has scored 46 points in 43 minutes in the second half.
|Arkansas (10-2) vs Utah Valley (5-8)|
DATE | TIME
|Saturday, January 3, 2015 | 2:05 P.M. CT|
SITE | ARENA
|Fayetteville, Ark. | Bud Walton Arena (19,200)|
TV | VIDEO
|SEC Network & WatchESPN App|
|Matt Stewart (P-B-P) & Darrin Horn (Analyst)|
|Razorback/IMG Sports Network|
|Chuck Barrett (P-B-P) & Scotty Thurman (Analyst)|
|Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
|#Fastest40 | #WeHogs|
AT BUD WALTON ARENA
AT AT BWA UNDER COACH A
VS. UTAH VALLEY
|vs. Georgia (Jan. 6) – ESPN Super Tuesday|
@RAZORBACKMBB FAST BREAK FACTS
• Looking to complete third unbeaten home non-conference schedule at Bud Walton Arena under head coach Mike Anderson.
• Owns a 38-1 record in non-conference games at Bud Walton Arena under coach Anderson.
• One of three teams (Davidson & Minnesota) nationally in the top 15 in scoring (T-7th), three-point field goal percentage (13th), assists (2nd) and turnover margin (4th).
• Won 51 straight non-conference games at Bud Walton Arena against unranked opponents.
• Own a 25-game home non-conference win streak that includes three games at Verizon Arena.
• Averaging 88.1 points over 25-game home non-conference win streak.
• Rank second in the nation in assists (19.6) and tied for seventh in scoring (84.9).
• One of three teams in the SEC with four players averaging double figures.
• Only SEC team to score at least 65 points in every game.
• Rank 13th nationally in three-point percentage thanks to four players shooting over 40 percent from three while five different players have made at least three trifectas in a game.
• Lead the SEC in steals (8.4) and assist/turnover ratio (1.6), while ranking second in turnover margin (+4.2).
Head Coach: Mike Anderson (Tulsa ‘82)
Record at Arkansas: 69-41 (4th Season)
Overall Record: 269-139 (13th Season)
Vs. Utah Valley: 1-0
Head Coach: Dick Hunsaker (Louisiana Tech ‘77)
Record at Utah Valley: 226-148 (13th Season)
Overall Record: 392-221 (21st Season)
Vs. Arkansas: 0-1
Either junior MICHAEL QUALLS or sophomore BOBBY PORTIS has been Arkansas’ top scorer in 11 of 12 games this season, combining for 30+ points eight times (7-1), highlighted by 50 points against Northwestern State. Both have finished in double figures nine times while combining for 9 of the team’s 11 20-point games. One of the two has reached the 20-point plateau in eight games, while they are just one of two duos in the SEC to both rank in the top 10 in scoring. Qualls and Portis don’t just get it done on the offensive end, as they rank one and two on the team in rebounding, leading the way on the glass in the 10 times. Below is a look at the top scoring duos in the SEC.
Program PPG Mins Per
Jarell Martin & Jordan Mickey LSU 33.1 67.4
Bobby Portis & Michael Qualls Arkansas 33.0 57.2
KT Harrell & Cinmeon Bowers Auburn 30.5 61.7
Levi Randolph & Ricky Tarrant Alabama 29.9 59.5
Damian Jones & Riley LaChance Vanderbilt 29.0 59.2
Currently the only player in the SEC in the top 5 in scoring (17.2/3rd), rebounding (7.7/4th), offensive rebounds (3.3/2nd) and field goal percentage (.583/1st), sophomore BOBBY PORTIS has taken his game to another level over the last six contests. Portis is averaging 19.8 points and 9.2 rebounds the last six games, leading the team in scoring four times and on the glass each contest. Portis has gone for at least 18 points and seven rebounds in six straight, becoming the first Razorback to accomplish the feat since CORLISS WILLIAMSON did during his sophomore season in 1994.
Coming off a career-high 28 point night, which is tied for the most by an SEC player this year, junior MICHAEL QUALLS has scored 20 points four times at home and five times on the year, which is one more than RASHAD MADDEN’S team-leading total from all of 2013-14. Qualls has scored 20 points in seven of his last 21 games dating back to last year compared to just one over his first 55 career contests.
MAKING THE MOST OF HIS MINUTES
Already with more assists than his freshman and sophomore season totals, senior RASHAD MADDEN is the only player in nation averaging at least five assists while playing under 25 minutes per night. Out of the seven games Madden’s played 25 minutes or less, he’s reached double figures five times and led the team in assists five times. Madden is the only player in the SEC averaging 10 points and five assists, while he’s fifth among active SEC players in points (886) and third in assists (271).