FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Arkansas men’s tennis team (5-3) used a sweep of all six doubles courts Friday to defeat the SMU Mustangs 6-1 at the SMU Tennis Complex for its fourth straight win.
Arkansas fell behind 1-0 early, as the Mustangs claimed the doubles point. The Razorbacks dropped first on court three as Branch Terrell and Alex Reco fell 6-2 to Charles Nettlefold and Roberto Rosales. SMU would take court one 6-4, as Jan-Simon Vrbsky and Tomas Vaise topped Adam Sanjurjo and Oscar Mesquida. Jose Salazar and Josh Howard-Tripp won 6-4 on court two.
Arkansas was able to tie the match 1-1, as No. 59 Salazar won his fifth straight singles match, defeating SMU’s Jan-Simon Vrbsky at the top spot 6-3, 6-3. Salazar has a team-best record of 7-1 this spring in singles.
The Razorbacks quickly jumped out to a 3-1 lead, as Howard-Tripp closed out Nettlefold 6-4, 7-5 on court two and P. Alonso mirrored Howard-Tripp with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Rosales on court four.
After dropping the first set on courts three and five, Mesquida and Reco were both able to win their respective second sets to force a decisive set. Reco was able to close out his opponent before Mesquida with a 6-7 (3), 6-2, 6-2 over Eladio Fabregas. With the victory, Reco has won each of his last four singles matches to start the spring season 4-1. Mesquida followed shortly after with a 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-2 win over Vaise to put the Hogs up 5-1.
On the final court, J. Alonso defeated Gardiner Perotti 6-7 (8), 6-3, 1-0 (4) to give Arkansas the 6-1 win.
Arkansas will travel further south to Austin, Texas, for another 1 p.m. match with the 16th-ranked Texas Longhorns on Sunday afternoon.
Arkansas 6, SMU 1
Singles Results – Order of finish (1,2,4,5,3,6)
1. #59 Jose Salazar (AR) def. Jan-Simon Vrbsky (SMU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) def. Charles Nettlefold (SMU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Oscar Mesquida (AR) def. Tomas Vaise (SMU) 4-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
4. Pedro Alonso (AR) def. Roberto Rosales (SMU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Alex Reco (AR) def. Eladio Fabregas (SMU) 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, 6-2
6. Jose Alonso (AR) def. Gardiner Perotti (SMU) 6-7 (8-10), 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
Doubles Results – Order of finish (3,1)
1. Jan-Simon Vrbsky/Tomas Vaise (SMU) def. Adam Sanjurjo/Oscar Mesquida (AR) 6-4
2. Jose Salazar/Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) def. Gardiner Perotti/Eladio Fabregas (SMU) 6-4
3. Charles Nettlefold/Roberto Rosales (SMU) def. Branch Terrell/Alex Reco (AR) 6-2
For more information on Razorback men’s tennis, please follow @RazorbackMTEN on Twitter.