Arkansas Tennis Falls to UNLV
BY ANDRES FOCIL
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – The Razorback tennis team fell short in its quest to end its losing streak late Tuesday night, as the Hogs lost to No. 42 UNLV, 5-2 at the Fertitta Tennis Complex in Las Vegas, Nev. No. 71 Arkansas is now 2-9 for the season, while the Rebels improved to 12-4.
UA came close to capturing the doubles point when juniors Adrians Zguns and Rohan Gajjar defeated David Campbell and Joel Kielbowicz, 8-4. Junior Matt Roberts and senior Imraan Ismail almost clinched the point, but were unable to overcome the nation’s formerly 17th-ranked duo of Adrians Nehles and Sean Hubbard, in a tiebreaker that resulted in a 9-8 score. Senior Talley Parker and sophomore Andrei Nicoara played at the No. 3 spot and were defeated 8-3, by Martin Redelinghuys and Jonathan Hooper.
Zguns and Roberts were successful in the No. 2 and 3 single matches, respectively, and both recorded wins. Zguns earned his 11th win on the year as he defeated Aviran Salomon 3-6, 6-2, 1-0. Roberts picked up a quality victory over UNLV’s only formerly nationally ranked singles player, No. 91 Kielbowicz, with a score of 4-6, 6-2, 1-0. It was Roberts’ 14th win for the year.
Gajjar, who moved up to No. 57 in the singles’ rankings was playing at the No. 1 position, but was defeated by Nehles, 6-4, 6-4. Appearing in only his sixth match for the season freshman Jimmy Khougassian played No. 4 for the first time, but was defeated 7-6, 6-2 by Romain Massaro.
In other singles play Ismail was defeated at No. 5 by David Campbell 5-7, 6-1, 6-3, and Nicoara fell to Hooper 6-3, 6-2.
After having played in eight-straight road matches since Feb. 8, the Razorbacks are looking forward to returning to Fayetteville to host a pair of Southeastern Conference teams. Arkansas will take on 40th-ranked Vanderbilt on Friday, March 25 at 1:30 p.m. No. 30 Kentucky will be next on Sunday, March 27, at 1 p.m.
#42 UNLV 5, #71 ARKANSAS 2
DOUBLES: (UNLV EARNS ONE TEAM POINT)
1. Zguns/Gajjar (UA) def. Campbell/Kielbowicz (UNLV) 8-4
2. Nehles/Sean Hubbard (UNLV) def. Roberts/Ismail (UA) 9-8 (3)
3. Redelinghuys/Hooper (UNLV) def. Parker/Nicoara (UA) 8-3
ORDER OF FINISH: 3, 1, 2
SINGLES: (UNLV EARNS FOUR TEAM POINTS)
1. Henner Nehles (UNLV) def. Rohan Gajjar (UA) 6-4, 6-4
2. Adrians Zguns (UA) def. Aviram Salomon (UNLV) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-3)
3. Matt Roberts (UA) def. Joel Kielbowicz (UNLV) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Romain Massaro (UNLV) def. Jimmy Khougassian (UA) 7-6 (6), 6-2
5. David Campbell (UNLV) def. Imraan Ismail (UA) 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
6. Jonathan Hooper (UNLV) def. Andrei Nicoara (UA) 6-3, 6-2
ORDER OF FINISH: 6, 2, 4, 2, 3, 5
Sports Category :