Arkansas Baseball Notebook
March 24, 2008
Overall Record: 14-8
Tuesday, March 18: #22 Nebraska 6, Arkansas 1
Wednesday, March 19: Arkansas 9, #22 Nebraska 4
Friday, March 21: LSU 8, Arkansas 7 (11)
Saturday, March 22: Arkansas 14, LSU 13 (10)
Sunday, March 23: LSU 4, Arkansas 2
Noting the Razorbacks
Arkansas (14-8) went on the road for spring break at #22 Nebraska and LSU … the Razorbacks split their series with the Cornhuskers, defeating the 22nd-ranked team 9-4 on Wednesday afternoon … Arkansas took one of three at LSU, coming back from a nine-run deficit against the Tigers on Saturday to defeat the home team 14-13 in 10 innings on a Tim Smalling homer … junior Casey Coon had his best series of the year going eight for 14 in the three-game set and improving his overall batting average by 80 points … Sophomore Justin Wells was the key to the Razorbacks’ victory on Saturday against LSU as he pitched a career long 7.1 innings of relief and shut down the Tigers from the sixth inning on allowing just two base runners over the final four innings … Tim Smalling had a 14-game hitting streak snapped on Sunday … Arkansas head coach Dave Van Horn earned his 800th career win as a head coach in the improbable Arkansas comeback on Saturday … Sophomore Dallas Keuchel had his longest career outing against LSU on Sunday afternoon pitching a complete game and giving up just four runs, three earned on seven hits.
Hitter of the Week Nominee
Casey Coon * Junior
Las Vegas, Nev./Silverado/CC of Southern Nevada
· Was nearly impossible to get out in the first two games of Arkansas’ series with LSU ending up the three game set 8-14 with six runs scored, two doubles, a home run, a stolen base, five RBI and 13 total bases for a .571 average, .929 slugging percentage and .533 on-base percentage
· Drove in both runs in Arkansas’ Sunday game with LSU.
· Did not make an error in five opportunities in left field.
· For the week hit .444 with eight hits in 18 at bats and seven runs scored.
· Increased his season batting average 80 points in the LSU series.
Pitcher of the Week Nominee
Justin Wells * Junior
Bryant, Ark./Bryant/Texarkana College
· Picked up Arkansas’ win against LSU with 7.1 innings pitched out of the bullpen.
· After struggling through the first couple innings, shut down the LSU offense to just a pair of baserunners over his final four innings giving Arkansas a chance for the comeback.
· Was 1-0 in two appearances allowing six earned in 8.1 innings.
The Razorbacks return home for a mid-week series with Centenary College at Baum Stadium on Tuesday and Wednesday, March 25-26. The Tuesday game is scheduled for a 6:35 p.m. start and Wednesday is slated for 3:05. Arkansas goes back on the road for the end of its toughest stretch of games this year when it takes on the Vanderbilt Commodores in Nashville, Tenn., Friday through Sunday. Saturday’s game with the Commodores is scheduled for a 3:00 p.m. start and will be televised on Fox Sports Network.
Tuesday, March 25: Arkansas hosts Centenary, 6:35 p.m.
Wednesday, March 26: Arkansas hosts Centenary, 3:05 p.m.
Friday, March 28: Arkansas at Vanderbilt, 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 29: Arkansas at Vanderbilt, 3:00 p.m. (FSN)
Sunday, March 30: Arkansas at Vanderbilt, 1:00 p.m.