KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Junior Ela Kaluder did it all on Friday, surging the 22nd-ranked University of Arkansas Lady Razorbacks to an, 6-1, upset over the 20th-ranked Tennessee Lady Volunteers.
With a win over Ghizela Schutte, 6-4, 6-3, No. 122 Kaluder clinched the Lady’Backs (11-5, 4-1 in SEC) first ever win in Knoxville, and the first over the Lady Vols (10-5, 3-2 in SEC) since 1999.
“Tennessee is one of the best coached teams in the nation,” said Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty. “This win adds to our others so far this season in giving the team a great amount of confidence in the heart of our Southeastern Conference season.”
For the eighth-consecutive match the Lady’Backs were able to climb to a, 1-0, lead after controlling doubles.
“Doubles really got things going for us today,” Hegarty said. “It has been such a strong point for us this season, and once again gave us momentum leading to a win.”
Audrey Bordeleau and Anouk Tigu, ranked No. 50 in the nation, gave Arkansas the upper-edge, 8-1, over Connor Vogel and Jennifer Meredith. The clinching doubles point came as 32nd-ranked Aurelija Miseviciute and Kaluder dropped No. 9 Caitlin Whoriskey and Zsofia Zubor, 8-5. Maryori Franco and Nanar Airapetian completed the clean sweep, 8-5, by defeating Schutte and Rosalia Alda.
The Lady’Backs have not dropped a doubles point dating back to Feb. 9.
Tennessee earned their first and only point of the match quickly when Zubor took down Franco, 6-1, 6-2.
With the match tied at 1-1, Arkansas would not stay down very long proceeding to capture five straight singles matches.
Bordeleau claimed a victory over Alda, 6-4, 6-4, pushing the senior from Canada’s record to 10-0 overall in SEC action.
The nation’s top singles player, Miseviciute, claimed a, 6-2, 6-3, victory over No. 71 ranked Whoriskey to put Arkansas into the drivers seat at 3-1.
The Lady’Backs finished singles in fine fashion after clinching the match. Airapetian defeated Meredith in straight sets, 7-5, 6-3, while Tigu triumphed over Samantha Orlin, 6-2, 6-4, closing out the match.
“This was such a strong performance up and down our lineup,” Hegarty said.
Fans are urged to come to the Billingsley Tennis Center on Sunday when they take on SEC Eastern power and 6th-ranked Georgia at 11 a.m.
For immediate results and live stats on Sunday stay close to LADYBACKS.COM.
1. #1 Aurelija Miseviciute (UA) def. #71 Caitlin Whoriskey (UT), 6-2, 6-3.
2. #122 Ela Kaluder (UA) def. Ghizela Schutte (UT), 6-4, 6-3.
3. Anouk Tigu (UA) def. Samantha Orlin (UT), 6-2, 6-4.
4. Zsofia Zubor (UT) def. Maryori Franco (UA), 6-1, 6-2.
5. Nanar Airapetian (UA) def. Jennifer Meredith (UT), 7-5, 6-3.
6. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) def. Rosalia Alda (UT), 6-4, 6-4.
Match Notes: (Order of Finish:4,6,1,2*,5,3)
1. #32 Aurelija Miseviciute/Ela Kaluder (UA) def. #9 Caitlin Whoriskey/Zsofia Zubor (UT), 8-5.
2. Maryori Franco/Nanar Airapetian (UA) def. Ghizela Schutte/Rosalia Alda (UT), 8-5.
3. #50 Audrey Bordeleau/Anouk Tigu (UA) def. Connor Vogel/Jennifer Meredith (UT), 8-1.
Match Notes: (Order of Finish: 3,1*,2)