Norman, Okla. – Senior Melissa Cornett and freshman Aurelija Miseviciute lifted the University of Arkansas women’s tennis team in singles and doubles to its sixth win in a row Wednesday night with a 4-3 win over the University of Oklahoma.
The 4-3 win by the Lady Razorbacks (10-8, 5-5) over the Sooners (8-12, 2-6) marks the second match in a row and fifth match this season the Lady’Backs have defeated an opponent by just one match.
In doubles, Miseviciute and Cornett won their second match in a row together with an 8-4 win over OU’s Christi Baxley and Irina Lykina. Moments later, senior Vlatka Jovanovic and freshman Ela Kaluder cashed in Arkansas’ 11th doubles point of the season with an 8-6 win over Oklahoma’s Anne Carter and Monica Purice.
In singles, Miseviciute continued her winning streak with a 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 over Gabby Baker. Miseviciute has now won six singles matches in a row.
On court five, Cornett defeated Chelsea Orr in straight sets to give Arkansas an advantage, 6-3, 6-2.
Giving Arkansas the final push was Freshman Maryori Franco. Franco won her sixth match in her last seven outings with a 7-5, 6-2 win over OU’s Christi Baxley.
“It’s always good to get a win on the road” said Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty. “This was a very hard-fought contest. We now have a great opportunity this Saturday at LSU.”
The Lady’Backs get their chance to clinch the Western Division outright on Saturday, April 15, against LSU at 1:00 p.m. For more information on Arkansas tennis or any other Lady’Back sport, please visit LADYBACKS.COM.
Tennis Match Results:
Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Headington Family Tennis Facility
Arkansas 4, Oklahoma 3
1. Aurelija Miseviciute (UA) def. Gabby Baker (OU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
2. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Vlatka Jovanovic (UA) 7-6(5), 6-3
3. Monica Purice (OU) def. Ela Kaluder (UA) 6-1, 6-2
4. Maryori Franco (UA) def. Christi Baxley (OU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Melissa Cornett (UA) def. Chelsea Orr (OU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Anne Carter (OU) def. Karina Ledaja (UA) 7-6(12), 3-6, 6-2
1. Gabby Baker/Chelsea Orr (OU) def. Maryori Franco/Ledaja (UA) 8-6
2. Aurelija Miseiviciute/Melissa Cornett (UA) def. Christi Baxley/Irina Lykina (OU) 8-4
3. Ela Kaluder/Vlatka Jovanovic (UA) def. Anne Carter/Monica Purice (OU) 8-6