FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Arkansas men’s tennis team fell in its home opener Sunday afternoon 5-2 to 15th-ranked Oklahoma State.
The Razorbacks fall to 1-2 on the season, as both losses have come to top-20 programs.
The senior-freshman doubles duo of Jose Salazar and Josh Howard-Tripp got things started for the Razorbacks, as Arkansas held the doubles advantage following a 6-1 victory on court two. The duo improved to 2-1 this season in doubles action. The Razorbacks could not pull out the doubles point, however, as Arkansas fell 6-2 on court three, then 6-3 on court one.
Down 1-0, Arkansas tied it up as junior Oscar Mesquida made quick work of Oklahoma State’s Tristan Meraut, winning 6-4, 6-0, to improve to 2-1 in singles action so far this season.
Oklahoma State would win the next three matches to take the victory, as freshman Jose Alonso fell to Luke Hammond (OSU) 6-3, 6-4. No. 113 Jose Salazar dropped to Julian Cash at the No. 1 spot, 7-6 (7), 6-2.
Freshman Josh Howard-Tripp earned his first loss of the season, moving to 2-1, as he lost to No. 93 Mathieu Scaglia, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2, in three sets.
After the clinch for OSU, the final two courts would play out, as junior Adam Sanjurjo defeated Artur Dubinksi 1-6, 7-5, 6-4. Freshman Alex Reco forced a tiebreaker in the second set, winning 9-7, to take it to a 10-point tiebreaker in the third set. Reco would fall 10-5.
Arkansas returns to action next Sunday, as the Razorbacks travel to Athens, Georgia, to face the Memphis Tigers at 9 a.m.
No. 15 Oklahoma State 5, Arkansas 2
Singles Results (3,6,1,4,2,5)
1. Julian Cash (OSU) def. Jose Salazar (AR) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
2. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) def. Artur Dubinski (OSU) 1-6, 7-5, 6-4
3. Oscar Mesquida (AR) def. Tristan Meraut (OSU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Mathieu Scaglia (OSU) def. Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
5. Jurence Mendoza (OSU) def. Alex Reco (AR) 6-4, 6-7 (7-9), 1-0 (10-5)
6. Luke Hammond (OSU) def. Jose Alonso (AR) 6-3, 6-4
Doubles Results (2,3,1)
1. Julian Cash/Luke Hammond (OSU) def. Adam Sanjurjo/Oscar Mesquida (AR) 6-3
2. Jose Salazar/Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) def. Artur Dubinski/Leftherios Theodorou (OSU) 6-1
3. Jurence Mendoza/Brady Draheim (OSU) def. Pedro Alonso/Jose Alonso (AR) 6-2