FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team had a slow start against the No. 38 Mississippi State Bulldogs that resulted in a 5-2 loss for the Razorbacks.
The No. 62-ranked Hogs were unable to overcome the Bulldogs in doubles competition and were defeated in all three matches. Louis Cant/Malte Stropp defeated Gregoire Lehmann/Matt Walters, 8-5. George Coupland/James Chaudry defeated Mike Ward/Nikolas Zogaj, 8-5. Artem Ilyushin/Zach White defeated Chris Nott/Matt Hogan, 8-6. The doubles point gave the Bulldogs the momentum they needed going into singles competition.
“The doubles point set the tone for our players,” said head coach Robert Cox. “Our guys are very capable of winning four straight singles matches after dropping the doubles point, we just have to realize it.”
Although the score was 5-2, the match itself was much closer than that. The Bulldogs jumped out to a 3-0 lead on the Hogs. Cant and Chaudry quickly defeated Ward and Zogaj. Hogan then secured a win for the Razorbacks, defeating Coupland 7-6 (9-7), 6-2. Stropp clinched the dual victory for Mississippi State, but not without a fight from Lehmann. Lehmann took the match to three sets, but was eventually defeated, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5. Nott and Walters finished out play for the Razorbacks. Nott defeated Ilyushin in the No. 1 position, 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, 7-5. Walters fell to White, 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (7-2).
“Being down 3-0 early can be discouraging, but I was really proud of our guys for fighting it out,” said Cox. “We definitely had some chances late that we didn’t capitalize on. We are getting there though. We’ll keep after it, the guys work hard and have a lot of heart.”
The Razorbacks have a day to regroup and then they will face No. 22 Ole Miss on Sunday at Noon at the Billingsley Tennis Center.
For more information about the Razorback tennis team, log on to www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com.
Mississippi State 5, Arkansas 2
March 11, 1 p.m.
Order of finish: 2, 1*, 3
1. Louis Cant/Malte Stropp (MSU) def.Chris Nott/Matt Hogan(UA) 8-5
2. George Coupland/James Chaudry (MSU) def. Mike Ward/Nikolas Zogaj (UA) 8-5
3. Artem Ilyushin/Zach White (MSU) def.Gregoire Lehmann/Matt Walters(UA) 8-6
Order of finish: 5, 3, 2, 4*, 1, 6
1. Chris Nott (UA) def. Artem Ilyushin (MSU) 6-7(3-7), 6-2, 7-5
2. Matt Hogan (UA) def. George Coupland (MSU) 7-6(9-7), 6-2
3. James Chaudry (MSU) def. Nikolas Zogaj (UA) 6-2, 6-0
4. Malte Stropp (MSU) def. Gregoire Lehmann (UA) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
5. Louis Cant (MSU) def. Mike Ward (UA) 6-2, 6-0
6. Zach White (MSU) def. Matt Walters (UA) 3-6, 7-6(7-3), 7-6(7-2)