FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team made a tremendous effort against the Auburn Tigers, but couldn’t overcome them and fell 5-2.
The Hogs couldn’t get over the hump in doubles play against the No. 18 ranked Tigers. The matches were kept close early, but the Tigers eventually extended their leads. Gregoire Lehmann and Matt Hogan fell first to the No. 28 ranked doubles team Tim Puetz and Daniel Cochrane. Nikolas Zogaj and Mike Ward quickly followed with a defeat from No. 45 ranked Andreas Mies and Alex Stamchev. Court three remained unfinished after the doubles point was clinched.
“It was another very good, close match and I am proud of the guys,” said head coach Robert Cox. “We are getting better and better in every match and our time is going to come.”
In singles play the Hogs continued to keep matches close. Ward took the first match against Rondino and briefly tied the score at one each. Auburn won the next three matches at positions 1, 4 and 2, to clinch the match win for the Tigers. Zogaj and Matt Walters finished up singles play for the Hogs. Zogaj defeated Hewitt and Walters fell to Mies, both in three setters. The final dual match score was 5-2 in the Tigers’ favor.
Following the doubles point, the team’s three seniors were honor with plaques and photos. Matt Hogan, Chris Nott and Nick Spinazze were given tribute for their contributions and accomplishments during their time as a Razorback.
The Hogs take on Oral Roberts again on Tuesday on the campus of Tulsa University at 4:30 p.m. Next theywill travel to Kentucky on Friday and then to Vanderbilt on Sunday in their next two matches. Kentucky’s match will begin at 2 p.m. and Vanderbilt’s will begin at Noon. For more information of the Arkansas Razorback tennis team, log on to www. ArkansasRazorbacks.com.
#18 Auburn 5, #69 Arkansas 2
April 3, 1 p.m.
Order of finish: 1, 2*
1. #28 Tim Puetz/Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Gregoire Lehmann/Matt Hogan (UA) 8-3
2. #45 Andreas Mies/Alex Stamchev (AU) def. Nikolas Zogaj/Mike Ward (UA) 8-5
3. Matt Walters/Chris Nott (UA) vs. Lucas Lopasso/Rafael Rondino (AU) 5-5 DNF
Order of finish: 6, 1, 4, 2*, 3, 5
1. #15 Tim Puetz (AU) def. Chris Nott (UA) 6-4, 6-2
2. #118 Alex Stamchev (AU) def. Matt Hogan (UA) 6-4, 6-3
3. Nikolas Zogaj (UA) def. Tim Hewitt (AU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
4. Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Gregoire Lehmann (UA) 6-1, 3-6, 6-0
5. Andreas Mies (AU) def. Matt Walters (UA) 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
6. Mike Ward (UA) def. Rafael Rondino (AU) 6-4, 6-4