FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The No. 69 University of Arkansas men’s tennis team couldn’t seem to close out their final matches and consequently fell to the No. 43 Alabama Crimson Tide, 4-3.
“We played some really good doubles today,” said head coach Robert Cox. “We just have to carry that over into singles.”
The Hogs began the match strong and won their very first doubles point of conference competition this season. At the No. 1 position, Gregoire Lehmann and Matt Hogan fell with 8-3 defeat. Matt Walters and Chris Nott then followed with an 8-5 win over the Crimson tide at the the No. 3 position. The doubles point came down to a very close match on court two. Mike Ward and Nikolas Zogaj climbed back from a 1-3 deficit to take a 7-4 lead. Alabama fought back and took two more games, but the Hogs refused to lose and clinched the match and the doubles point with an 8-6 victory.
After the good start in doubles, the Hogs could not maintain their momentum. Nott quickly defeated Doverspike in two sets in the No. 1 position, but then Zogaj dropped a two-setter to Jarryd Botha. Walters followed quickly after, dropping his match to Michael Thompson and tying the dual match at two points each.
After winning their first sets, Hogan and Lehmann both drop their next two sets and fall to their opponents. The two matches game Alabama their third and fourth points to clinch the dual match. Ward finished up play with a win for the Hogs 7-6 (7-5), 7-6(7-5).
The Hogs play their final home match on Sunday against the Auburn Tigers. Sunday will also be senior day for the Razorbacks. Matt Hogan, Chris Nott, and Nick Spinazze will be honored for their contributions to the team.
“We just didn’t close out some of our matches,” said Cox. “I give Alabama credit, because the played very solid when they had to and took advantage of our mistakes.”
For more information on the men’s tennis team, log on to www. ArkansasRazorbacks.com.
Alabama 4, Arkansas 3
April 1, 1 p.m.
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2*
1. #76 Ricky Doverspike/Jarryd Botha (AB) def. Gregoire Lehmann/Matt Hogan 8-3
2. Nikolas Zogaj/Mike Ward (UA) def. Vikram Reddy/Michael Thompson (AB) 8-6
3. Matt Walters/Chris Nott (UA) def. Daniil Proskura/Trey Walston (AB) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3, 5, 2, 4*, 6
1. Chris Nott (UA) def. Ricky Doverspike (AB) 6-0, 6-4
2. Daniil Proskura (AB) def. Matt Hogan (UA) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Jarryd Botha (AB) def. Nikolas Zogaj (UA) 6-1, 6-4
4. Vikram Reddy (AB) def. Gregoire Lehmann (UA) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
5. Michael Thompson (AB) def. Matt Walters (UA) 6-4, 6-1
6. Mike Ward (UA) def. Ian Chadwell (AB) 7-6(7-5), 7-6(7-5)