LEXINGTON, Kent. — The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team made great effort and fought No. 12 Kentucky to the end, but eventually fell to the Wildcats, 5-2.
“I’m really proud of our effort,” said head coach Robert Cox. “The guys are hanging in there and they’re giving it their all.”
In doubles, the Razorbacks put up a fight, but in the end the point went to Kentucky. At the No. 1 position, Matt Hogan and Gregoire Lehmann fell 8-3, followed by Chris Nott Matt Walters dropping a tight 9-87 match at the No. 3 position. Nikolas Zogaj and Mike Ward finished out doubles play with a 7-6(1) victory at the No. 2 spot.
In singles play, the Hogs would not go down easily. They took four of the six matches to three sets. After Nikolas Zogaj fell to Brad Cox, the Wildcats took a 2-0 lead in the match. Matt Hogan then got a big win and defeated No. 51 Alex Musialek 6-4, 6-3. Razorback sophomore Mike Ward followed with another victory over Grant Roberts to tie the match at 2-2. Unfortunately, the Hogs would not win another match and the Wildcats prevailed.
Kentucky went on to win at the No. 4, 5 and 1 positions. No. 104-ranked Anthony Rossi defeated Gregoire Lehmann, and Tom Jomby clinched the match with a win over Matt Walters. No. 7 Eric Quigley came from behind to beat Chris Nott at the No. 1 position to finish up singles play.
“It was a heartbreaker today, but more importantly the guys are starting to play their best tennis here at the end of the year,” said Cox.
The Razorbacks will travel to Nashville on Sunday to take on No. 33 Vanderbilt at Noon. For more information on the men’s tennis team, log on to www. ArkansasRazorbacks.com.
#12 Kentucky 5, #75 Arkansas 2
April 8, 2 p.m.
Order of finish: 1, 3*, 2
1. No. 64 Eric Quigley/Brad Cox (UK) def. Matt Hogan/Gregoire Lehmann (UA) 8-3
2. Nikolas Zogaj/Mike Ward (UA) def. Anthony Rossi/Alex Musialek (UK) 7-6 (1)
3. Alberto Gonzalez/Alejandro Gomez (UK) def. Chris Nott/Matt Walters (UA) 9-7
Order of finish: 3, 2, 6, 4, 5*, 1
1. No. 7 Eric Quigley (UK) def. Chris Nott (UA) 6-7 (6), 6-4, 6-4
2. Matt Hogan (UA) def. No. 51 Alex Musialek (UK) 6-4, 6-3
3. Brad Cox (UK) def. Nikolas Zogaj (UA) 6-4, 6-2
4. No. 104 Anthony Rossi (UK) def. Gregoire Lehmann (UA) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
5. Tom Jomby (UK) def. Matt Walters (UA) 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
6. Mike Ward (UA) def. Grant Roberts (UK) 3-6, 6-4, 2-6