FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team did not drop a match today as they swept both Oral Roberts and SLU 7-0. The two wins move No. 68 Razorbacks to 6-10 (0-5 SEC) for the season.
“It was a good total team effort,” said head coach Robert Cox. “Everyone got to see some action.”
The Hogs played a variety of players in the two matches, many seeing their first action since the fall. Apart from one match against Saint Louis, all matches were decided in two sets.
The Hogs moved along quickly against Oral Roberts. Nick Spinazze and Manfred Jeske got an 8-0 win at the No. 3 position to start things off. Matt Walters and Mike Ward quickly followed with an 8-2 win at the No. 2 position to clinch the doubles point.
The Hogs sprinted through singles play with the Golden Eagles as well. Hall Fess and Mike Nott took rapid victories and the No. 5 and 6 positions. Fess did not allow his opponent to win even a game and defeated him 6-0, 6-0. Chris Nott then clinched the match for the Razorbacks at the No. 1 position. The 6-0, 6-3 victory was Nott’s fourth straight win in the No. 1 spot. Manfred Jeske, Taj Harrison and Matt Hogan finished up play with three more wins for the Hogs.
It was more of the same for the Hogs against the Saint Louis Billikens. Matt Walters and Hall Fess took the first win in doubles play at the No. 2 position 8-2, followed quickly by an 8-2 victory for Matt Hogan and Gregoire Lehmann at the No. 1 spot. Doubles was completed by an 8-6 win by brothers Chris Nott and Mike Nott.
In singles play, Manfred Jeske took the first win at the No. 5 position. Mike Ward quickly followed at the No. 2 position and then Matt Walters clinched the match for the Hogs with a 6-4, 6-0 victory at the No. 3 spot. The Razorbacks concluded play with two more wins by Hall Fess and Taj Harrision at the No. 4 & 6 positions.
“We played good solid tennis and closed out matches, and that’s something we’ve been failing to do,” said Cox. “These matches should definitely boost the players confidence.”
Oral Roberts and Saint Louis were the final two non-conference matches for the Hogs. SEC play will resume on Saturday when the Hogs take on Georgia at the Billingsley Tennis Center. First serve is scheduled for 1 p.m. For more information on the men’s tennis team, log on to www.ArkansasRazorbacks.com.
Oral Roberts 0, Arkansas 7
March 23, 11 a.m.
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1
1. Matt Hogan/Gregoire Lehmann (UA) def. Igor Sobolta/Mikhail Trukshanin (ORU) 8-4
2. Matt Walters/Mike Ward (UA) def. Dario Beslic/Dmitry Suslov (ORU) 8-2
3. Nick Spinazze/Manfred Jeske (UA) def. Matthew Tansil/Matthew Prevost (ORU) 8-0
Order of finish: 6, 5, 1*, 4, 3, 2
1. Chris Nott (UA) def. Mikhail Trukshanin (ORU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Matt Hogan (UA) def. Igor Sobolta (ORU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Taj Harrison (UA) def. Dario Beslic (ORU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Manfred Jeske (UA) def. Dmitry Suslov (ORU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Hall Fess (UA) def. Matthew Tansil (ORU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Mike Nott (UA) def. Matthew Prevost (ORU) 6-1, 6-0
Saint Louis 0, Arkansas 7
March 23, 3 p.m.
Order of finish: 2, 1*, 3
1. Matt Hogan/Gregoire Lehmann (UA) def. Drew Feder/Joe Flanagan (SLU) 8-2
2. Matt Walters/Hall Fess (UA) def. Patrick Kella/Vuk Poledica (SLU) 8-2
3. Mike Nott/Chris Nott (UA) def. Dave Welkener/Nishaad Balachandran (SLU) 8-6
Order of finish: 5, 2, 3*, 1, 4, 6
1. Gregoire Lehmann (UA) def. Joe Flanagan (SLU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Mike Ward (UA) def. Vuk Poledica (SLU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Matt Walters (UA) def. Nishaad Balachandran (SLU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Hall Fess (UA) def. Drew Feder (SLU) 6-2, 6-0, 1-0(3)
5. Manfred Jeske (UA) def. Patrick Kella (SLU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Taj Harrison (UA) def. Dave Welkener (SLU) 6-2, 6-3