FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The University of Arkansas men’s tennis team fell to the No. 11 Bulldogs of Georgia, 7-0.
“It was a struggle all day today,” said head coach Robert Cox. “Georgia is a very good team and they jumped on us and took care of their opportunities.”
After splitting the matches on courts one and three, the doubles point came down to the winner of court two. Matt Walters and Chris Nott took the first win to No. 47-ranked doubles team Drake Bernstein and Wil Spencer, 8-6. The Bulldogs took the next win on court one over Matt Hogan and Gregoire Lehmann, 8-1. Finally, No. 32 Sadio Doumbia and Ignacio Taboada of Georgia defeated Nikolas Zogaj and Mike Ward at the No. 2 spot, 8-5.
“I’m really proud of the way we competed,” said Cox. “We’re going to get there.”
In singles play, Georgia swept the Razorbacks in all six matches. Despite a tremendous effort by the Hogs, they were all defeated in straight sets with the exception of Nott. Lehmann and Zogaj’s losses at the No. 4 and 3 positions got the Bulldogs to three points in the match. Hernus Pieters clinched the match for Georgia in the No. 5 position, defeating Walters 6-3, 6-0. Soon after, Ward and Hogan fell. Nott and No. 13 Wil Spencer finished up play. Nott and Spencer split the first two sets and then went into a super tiebreaker to determine match winner. Nott eventually fell to Spencer, 7-6(11-9), 2-6, 10-8.
“We are going to keep after it and have a good week or practice and get ready for Alabama,” said Cox.
The Hogs are back in action next Friday against Alabama at 1 p.m. and then on Sunday against Auburn at 1 p.m. This will be the Razorbacks final weekend of home matches for the season. For more information on the Razorback men’s tennis team, log on to www. ArkansasRazorbacks.com.
Georgia 7, Arkansas 0
March 26, 1 p.m.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2*
1. #10 Javier Garrapiz/Hernus Pieter (UGA) def. Matt Hogan/Gregoire Lehmann (UA) 8-1
2. #32 Sadio Doumbia/Ignacio Taboada (UGA) def. Nikolas Zogaj/Mike Ward (UA) 8-5
3. Matt Walters/Chris Nott (UA) def. #47 Drake Bernstein/Wil Spencer (UGA) 8-6
Order of finish: 4, 3, 5*, 6, 2, 1
1. #13 Wil Spencer (UGA) def. Chris Nott (UA) 7-6(11-9), 2-6, 10-8
2. #25 Javier Garrapiz (UGA) def. Matt Hogan (UA) 6-3, 6-3
3. #48 Sadio Doumbia (UGA) def. Nikolas Zogaj (UA) 6-2, 6-2
4. Drake Bernstein (UGA) def. Gregoire Lehmann (UA) 6-0, 6-0
5. Hernus Pieters (UGA) def. Matt Walters (UA) 6-3, 6-0
6. Campbell Johnson (UGA) def. Mike Ward (UA) 6-4, 6-2