FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Despite the less than stellar weather conditions the No. 3 Arkansas men’s track and field team had some solid performances in Fayetteville on day one of the Arkansas Spring Invitational.
The Razorbacks were led by junior Derek Jacobus in the decathlon and sophomore Erich Sullins in the hammer throw who both battled the relentless rain and came out shining.
A transfer from Northern Iowa, Jacobus posted top-three finishes in four out of the five events on day one to score a first day total of 3,979 points. He capped the day posting the fastest 400 time of the night with 49.59. Jacobus heads into tomorrow’s competition trailing decathlon leader Kurtis Brondyke (unattached) by a narrow 72-point margin.
In the hammer throw Sullins opened with a major mark of 56.84m/186-6 on his first toss. He won the event by over two feet as the next best mark barely crossed the 184-foot threshold.
Additional Notable Performances
- Senior Lane Austell scored 3,617 points on day one of the decathlon to cap the evening among the top-eight best performers of the day.
“Those guys did a great job today, especially handling the adverse conditions,” assistant coach Travis Geopfert said. “Derek [Jacobus] actually tied his day one PR which is phenomenal. He got off to a great start in the 100 and the long jump. Lane [Austell] is only nine points behind his day one PR. Erich [Sullins] has been training extremely well, very focused. He’s excited and he knows it was a good opener in those conditions and he’s looking forward to Stanford next week.”
Fans will be able to tune in to tomorrow’s events on the SEC Network + which will live stream the meet at 3 p.m.
Arkansas Spring Invitational
March 24, 2017
John McDonnell Field (Fayetteville, Arkansas)
1. Erich Sullins – 56.84m/186-6
2. Derek Jacobus – 3,979 points
2. 100m – 10.84w (897 points)
3. Long Jump – 7.29m/23-11w (883)
7. Shot Put – 12.30m/40-4 1/4 (625)
4. High Jump – 1.93m/6-4 (740)
1. 400 Meters – 49.59 (834)
6. Lane Austell – 3,617 points
7. 100m – 11.10w (838 points)
8. Long Jump – 6.62m/21-8 3/4w (725)
10. Shot Put – 11.69m/38-4 1/4 (588)
7. High Jump – 1.87m/6-1 1/2 (687)
4. 400 Meters – 50.77 (779)
For more information on Arkansas track and field including in-meet updates, follow @RazorbackTF on Twitter.