FAYETTEVILLE – The University of Arkansas women’s tennis team made quick work on the first day of the 2006 spring season with back-to-back blankings of Oral Roberts and Missouri State on Friday afternoon at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center.
The Lady Razorbacks scored early and often against ORU, only losing one game in its first three doubles matches. In singles, it was all freshmen as Aurelija Miseviciute, Ela Kaluder and Rachel Wilhelm posted 6-0, 6-0 victories to vault the Lady’Backs to a 7-0 shutout win.
Later that afternoon against Missouri State, sophomore Maryori Franco and senior Karina Ledaja kept the momentum going for the Lady’Backs by clinching the doubles with an 8-1 win over MSU’s Liz Garza and Maja Stanojevic.
Arkansas singles was led by senior Melissa Cornett. The Little Rock, Ark., native was first off the court with a 6-0, 6-1 win over MSU’s Mali Gakovic.
Miseviciute followed suit soon after with a 6-1, 6-0 victory of her own over Liz Garza.
After taking the first set 6-0, Ledaja found herself down to MSU’s Paty Manzur in the second 4-2. The 6-2 senior responded with a four-game run to take the match and clinch the match for the Lady’Backs with the 6-4 win.
“It was a serviceable first day for us,” said Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty. “We’ve got a big step up in competition soon and have much to improve on. With that being said, we lined up all freshmen and sophomores in the match against Oral Roberts, which is sort of self-explanatory.
With the win, the Lady’Backs extend their unbeaten streak against Missouri State, which now stands at 28-0. Arkansas women’s tennis is back in action on Sunday at home against Wichita State. The match time is set for noon.
For more information about Lady Razorback tennis or about Arkansas women’s athletics, please go to www.ladybacks.com.
Friday, January 27, 2006
Dills Indoor Tennis Center
Arkansas 7, Oral Roberts 0
1. Karina Ledaja/Maryori Franco (AR) def. Emily Arkell/Adrianna Garcia(ORU) 8-1
2. Ela Kaluder/Aurelija Miseviciute (AR) def. Rafaela de Souza/Diana Maria Salas (ORU) 8-0
3. Melissa Cornett/Vlatka Jovanovic (AR) def. Deborah Skinstad/Corrine Langston (ORU) 8-0
1. Aurelija Miseviciute (AR) def. Adrianna Garcia (ORU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Ela Kaluder (AR) def. Emily Arkell (ORU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Maryori Franco (AR) def. Rafaela de Souza (ORU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Audrey Bordeleau (AR) def. Diana Maria Salas (ORU) 6-1, 2-2, ret.
5. Rachel Wilhelm (AR) def. Deborah Skinstad (ORU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Lindsey Brown (AR) def. Corrine Langston (ORU) 6-3, 6-0
Arkansas 7, Missouri State 0
1. Maryori Franco/Karina Ledaja (AR) def. Liz Garza/Maja Stanojevic (MSU) 8-1
2. Audrey Bordeleau/Rachel Wilhelm (AR) def. Paty Manzur/Nora Kuruc (MSU) 8-3
3. Arkansas win by default
1. Aurelija Miseviciute (AR) def. Liz Garza (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Vlatka Jovanovic (AR) def. Maja Stanojevic (MSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Maryori Franco (AR) def. Nora Kuruc (MSU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0(8)
4. Karina Ledaja (AR) def. Paty Manzur (MSU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Melissa Cornett (AR) def. Mali Gakovic (MSU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Arkansas win by default
— LADY RAZORBACKS —