FAYETTEVILLE—After defeating North Texas 6-1 earlier in the afternoon, the University of Arkansas women’s tennis handled its business again later that day by blanking Abilene Christian University, 7-0.
With the win, the Lady’Backs swell to 9-0, extending the longest season opening winning streak in Lady’Back history. In fact, the 9-0 record ties the all-time longest winning streak by an Arkansas women’s tennis team. The original 9-0 winning streak came in the 1997-98 season, and was snapped by No. 2 Florida, 5-1.
“Once again, our discipline was excellent throughout the match,” said head coach Michael Hegarty. “Abilene Christian always come out firing, and today was no different.”
On court two, freshman Maryori Franco was the first Arkansas netter off the court, making quick work of Abilene Christian’s Rachel Taylor, 6-1, 6-0.
Freshman Yawna Allen clinched the match for the Lady’Backs with a 6-1, 6-0 win on court five over ACU’s Megan Brown. With the win, Allen captures her 10th regional victory as a Lady Razorback and is 7-1 in dual matches.
Iliana Pacheco blanked Lana Pavlin on court three, 6-0, 6-0. The shutout is Pacheco’s second of the season.
Melissa Cornett sealed the fourth Lady’Back shutout on court four with a ten-point supertiebreaker victory over Ashley Caperton, 6-2, 6-7(6), 10-4.
The Lady’Backs also took the doubles point for the sixth time this spring. The first Arkansas duo to win was freshmen Allen and Audrey Bordeleau. It took the freshman team only 40 minutes to lock an 8-1 victory over Lana Pavlin and Holly Lindloff.
Seniors Pacheco and Whitney Morton acquired the point for Arkansas with an 8-4 win on court three over ACU’s Ashley Caperton and Joy Israel.
The Lady’Backs take Monday off before returning to the Dills Indoor Tennis Center on Tuesday for a match against regional rival Southern Methodist University at noon. SMU is currently ranked 46th in the nation and is 7-1 after defeating Texas-San Antonio on Feb. 4th, 7-0.
“Tuesday brings another stiff test,” said Hegarty. “It will be a tough turnaround for us.”
For more information, please visit www.ladybacks.com.
Tennis Match Results
Abilene Christian University vs University of Arkansas
Feb 13, 2005 at Fayetteville, Arkansas
University of Arkansas 7, Abilene Christian University 0
1. Vlatka Jovanovic (UA) def. Summer Beesley (ACU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Maryori Franco (UA) def. Rachel Taylor (ACU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Iliana Pacheco (UA) def. Lana Pavlin (ACU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Melissa Cornett (UA) def. Ashley Caperton (ACU) 6-2, 6-7(6), 10-4
5. Yawna Allen (UA) def. Megan Brown (ACU) 6-1, 6-0*
6. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) def. Holly Lindloff (ACU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Rachel Taylor/Summer Beesley (ACU) def. Vlatka Jovanovic/Melissa Cornett (UA) 9-8(6)
2. Yawna Allen/Audrey Bordeleau (UA) def. Holly Lindloff/Lana Pavlin (ACU) 8-1
3. Whitney Morton/Iliana Pacheco (UA) def. Ashley Caperton/Joy Israel (ACU) 8-4
T-2.5 hrs A-30
* clinched match