TUSCALOOSA – Behind first-court power from Ela Kaluder and doubles work from Aurelija Miseviciute, the Arkansas Lady Razorbacks defeated the Alabama Crimson Tide, 5-2, in Southeastern Conference women’s tennis.
The Lady’Backs evened their overall record to 10-10, and improved to 3-7 in SEC play.
Arkansas took the doubles point as Miseviciute and Audrey Bordeleau took the clinching match on the second court with an 8-0 shutout, then roared off to a fast start on the singles courts.
Miseviciute and Nanar Airapeitan added wins on two and four shortly thereafter. Miseviciute got her first singles win back on the courts with a 6-1, 6-1, decision against Nicole Briceno on No. 2. Airapetian took Alice Turnaru in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, on four.
The clincher came on the first court as Kaluder downed Mari Muller, 6-1, 6-2. Even though the match was decided, Arkansas added one more point when Bordeleau won on court five, 7-6, 6-2, over Bianca Svensson.
It looked like the Lady’Backs would sweep through the top five singles matches as Maryori Franco rallied from a 6-0 first to force a tiebreaker three-set marathon against Shelley Godwin. After taking a tiebreaker second, 7-6, the two battled on for a 10-7 final decision in favor of Alabama.
Arkansas other loss was on six with Rachel Wilhelm falling to Paulina Bigos, 6-1, 6-2.
The Lady’Backs return to Fayetteville to host LSU on Saturday, April 14, in the final regular season match of the year.
No. 58 Arkansas 5, Alabama 2
Alabama Varsity Courts
1. No. 37 Ela Kaluder (ARK) def. Mari Muller (UA) 6-1, 6-2
2. Aurelija Miseviciute (ARK) def. Nicole Briceno (UA) 6-1, 6-1
3. Shelley Godwin (UA) def. Maryori Franco (ARK) 0-6, 7-6, 10-7
4. Nanar Airapetian (ARK) def. Alice Tunaru (UA) 6-1, 6-2
5. Audrey Bordeleau (ARK) def. Bianca Svensson (UA) 7-6, 6-2
6. Paulina Bigos (UA) def. Rachel Wilhelm (ARK) 6-1, 6-2
1. Maryori Franco/Nanar Airapetian (ARK) def. Mari Muller/Andrea Brenes (UA) 8-2
2. Aurelija Miseviciute/Aubrey Bordeleau (ARK) def. Shelley Godwin/Bianca Svensson (UA) 8-0
3. Nicole Briceno/Paulina Bigos (UA) def. Ela Kaluder/Rachel Wilhelm (ARK) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1*,3); Singles (6,2,4,1*,5,3)