FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Senior Marcus Monk will not return to competition for theUniversity of Arkansasmen’s basketballteam it was announced on Friday.
"Unfortunately, Marcus is no longer a member of the University of Arkansas basketball team," Arkansas Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Jeff Long said. "We appreciate his contributions to the Razorback program and respect that he completed his undergraduate degree while competing as a student-athlete. We wish him well in the future."
Monk had been withheld from competition since Jan. 24 pending a review of an issue affecting his eligibility. University of Arkansas administrators have worked with the Southeastern Conference and the NCAA Academic and Membership Affairs staff regarding this matter.
"Upon initially receiving information that a student-athlete was possibly involved in a rules violation, the University of Arkansas took appropriate action to withhold Marcus from competition and worked exhaustively to review the matter in a thorough and fair manner," Long said. "The University of Arkansas is committed to compliance with all SEC and NCAA rules and will continue to monitor and enforce all rules."
The University plans to have no further comment on the matter.