FAYETTEVILLE – Freshman Anouk Tigu continued a three-match win streak for the 26th-ranked University of Arkansas Lady Razorbacks on the road against No. 40 Tulsa on Sunday, 5-2, closing out non-conference play.
Tigu, ranked 61st in singles, sealed another victory for Arkansas, 7-4, after a 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-2, three-set victory over Carla Zabaleta.
“Everyone contributed today and it was a great team victory,” said Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty.
The Lady’Backs continued their dominant run on Sunday, a dominant run where doubles has won the point in each of their last four matches.
Senior Audrey Bordeleau and Tigu have sparkled on Court 3 in doubles all season and Sunday was no different as they dropped Alexandra Kichoutkin and Jie Zeng, 8-5. Number 23 ranked Aurelija Miseviciute and Ela Kaluder wrapped up Rebecca Row and Zabaleta, 8-6, on Court 1 to clinch the point. Nanar Airapetian and Maryori Franco finished off the doubles sweep over Thalia Diaz-Barriga and Marta Marcinkowska, 8-7 (5).
“Doubles has been providing us with a great spark when we take the court,” Hegarty said.
An eight-match win streak continued on Court 1 in singles for No. 2 Aurelija Miseviciute. She made quick work of Kichoutkin in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, putting the Lady’Backs ahead 2-0.
Tulsa, 10-2, came back quickly to make it a one point match when Row defeated Delia Damaschin, 6-3, 6-2.
On Court 6, Bordeleau earned her ninth victory of the season in singles, 6-2, 6-2, against Agostina Santoro, setting up Tigu to clinch the match and an Arkansas victory.
Airapetian went on to win on Court 5 in a close three-set match, 7-6 (3), 0-6, 7-6 (9), over Marcinkowska.
The only other match lost on the day came when Ela Kaluder retired in the third set against Diaz-Barriga with the match score at 6-3, 1-6, 4-3, in favor of Tulsa.
“Tulsa is a great team, and we came out expecting a great battle,” Hegarty said. “Our team came ready to play today resulting in an impressive win.”
Arkansas will welcome Southeastern Conference play beginning at 12:00 p.m. on Friday against Auburn at the Billingsley Tennis Facility.
Updated ranking, stats and information on Lady Razorback tennis can be found on LADYBACKS.COM.
#26 Arkansas- 5
#40 Tulsa- 2
1. #2 Aurelija Miseviciute (UA) def. Alexandra Kichoutkin (UT) 6-1, 6-1
2. Thalia Diaz-Barriga (UT) def. Ela Kaluder (UA) 6-3, 1-6, 4-3 retired
3. #61 Anouk Tigu (UA) def. Carla Zabaleta (UT) 6-7 (4-7), 6-2, 6-2
4. Rebecca Row (UT) def. Delia Damaschin (UA) 6-3, 6-2
5. Nanar Airapetian (UA) def. Marta Marcinkowska (UT) 7-6 (7-3), 0-6, 7-6 (11-9)
6. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) def. Agostina Santoro (UT) 6-2, 6-2
Match Notes: (Order of Finish:1,4,6,3*,2,5)
1. #23 Ela Kaluder/Aurelija Miseviciute (UA) def. Rebecca Row/Carla Zabaleta (UT) 8-6
2. #59 Nanar Airapetian/Maryori Franco (UA) def. Thalia Diaz-Barriga/Marta Marcinkowska (UT) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Audrey Bordeleau/Anouk Tigu (UA) def. Alexandra Kichoutkin/Jie Zeng (UT) 8-5
Match Notes: (Order of Finish:3,1*,2)