FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The Arkansas men’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to No. 7 Texas Friday night at the Dills Indoor Tennis Center. The Razorbacks are now 0-2 on the season, while the Longhorns improve to 3-0.
In doubles play, Texas earned the first team point by winning all three matches. At the No. 1 spot, Texas’ Ed Corrie and Kellen Damico defeated Blake Strode and Colin Mascall, 8-4, the Arkansas duo’s first loss of the spring. Hubert Chodkiewicz and Luis Diaz-Barriga beat Chris Nott and Dmitry Lebedev, 8-3, while Dimitar Kutrovsky and Josh Zavala won at the No. 3 position with an 8-2 victory against Bradwin Williams and Tyler Tarnasky.
At the top singles spot, Kutrovsky bested Strode, 6-4, 6-4, using one service break in each set to seal the win. Kutrovsky’s win clinched the match for the Longhorns. It was the second time the two netters faced this season. They met previously at the ITA All-American in October.
After dropping the first set, Mascall rebounded to win the second set against the 23rd-ranked Damico. In the final set, Damico pulled through to win the match, 6-3, 3-6, 6-2. At the No. 3 singles position, Nott and Corrie fought to a first-set tiebreak. Corrie won the first set and pulled away in the second, 7-6(5), 6-1.
In the last match on court, Lebedev and Zavala split the first two sets and settled the match with a ten-point tiebreaker. Zavala jumped out to an early lead and completed the Texas sweep with a 4-6, 6-4, 1-0(6) win.
Arkansas will have a quick turnaround as it returns to the Dills Indoor courts Sunday for a doubleheader against Louisiana-Lafayette and Seminole College. First serve is scheduled for 1 p.m. to be followed by a 5:30 p.m. start time for the second match. Log on to www.hogwired.com for complete results.
#7 Texas 7, Arkansas 0
February 1, 2008
1. #53 Dimitar Kutrovsky (UT) def. #76 Blake Strode (UA), 6-4, 6-4
2. #23 Kellen Damico (UT) def. Colin Mascall (UA), 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
3. #52 Ed Corrie (UT) def. Chris Nott (UA), 7-6(5), 6-1
4. Luis Diaz-Barriga (UT) def. Matt Hogan (UA), 6-1, 6-1
5. Josh Zavala (UT) def. Dmitry Lebedev (UA), 4-6, 6-4, 1-0(6)
6. Milan Mihailovic (UT) def. Bradwin Williams (UA), 6-2, 6-1
1. Ed Corrie/Kellen Damico (UT) def. Blake Strode/Colin Mascall (UA), 8-4
2. Hubert Chodkiewicz/Luis Diaz-Barriga (UT) def. Chris Nott/Dmitry Lebedev (UA), 8-3
3. Dimitar Kutrovsky/Josh Zavala (UT) def. Bradwin Williams/Tyler Tarnasky (UA), 8-2
Order of Finish:
Doubles (2, 1, 3); Singles (6, 4, 1, 3, 2, 5)